Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Right Axleshaft tube driveway replacement.

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2024, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right Axleshaft tube driveway replacement.

Hey Y'all, I am reaching out because I broke the right axleshaft tube and I need to replace it. I hear it's fairly simple yet I've never done a job like this before. I have most of the tools needed for the Job but I'm sure not everything. I do have the Haynes manual but it doesn't tell me everything with this job. If you are experienced with this job I'd greatly appreciate your input. I want to know everything I should have and expect when doing this type of work. I appreciate you and your time. Thanks In advance!!

Last edited by TAHOE054X4; May 22nd, 2024 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Wanted to add a photo. Thanks
Old May 22nd, 2024, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 269 Likes on 234 Posts

Do you know what caused it to break? If not, you should verify it wasn’t due to the differential gears or bearings binding or locking up unintentionally.

The tube itself isn’t that difficult to remove. You’ll want to loosen the mounts on the left side to allow for a little tilting as you work to remove/install them.

If you disconnect the steering linkage from the pitman and idler arms, you can gain some working room by resting the linkage against the lower control arms as far forward as possible.

Old May 22nd, 2024, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

I was jacking up the tahoe with the cross member when somehow the jack slipped off of the member maki g the shaft land in the jack and breaking the housing. By the look of the diagram it should be easy to rebuild the unit with the new housing or... do you think this can be welded?

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; May 22nd, 2024 at 8:34 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 7:46 PM
CF Veteran

It’s hard to tell - I’d want to remove the tube for a complete inspection of the tube and diff first.

Given the cause of the break, I’d want to verify the case isn’t also damaged - it may look OK now but there could be damage you can’t see until the tube is off. Inspect it thoroughly for cracks in the case and make absolutely certain the diff carrier bearing isn’t damaged.

My hesitation with welding it is making sure the tube and flange are square and maintain the original alignment.

If the flange is crooked relative to the tube, it could make re-assembly more difficult because the axle and diff won’t line up correctly. It would also create uneven pressure on the bearings as well as cause runout at the stub-to-CV axle flange - all things that are sure to interfere with normal axle engagement, cause unusual noise/vibrations, and wear out parts faster.

Given the tubes can be found for $100 - $300, I’d just replace it as long as the case isn’t also damaged. If the case is damaged, I’d be trying to source a complete replacement from a salvage yard.

You should also verify the axle shaft isn’t bent.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; May 23rd, 2024 at 12:33 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 10:46 PM
CF Beginner

I want to replace it but for some reason the part is hard to find. I looked at rockauto and i thought id find it there. It makes sense about the welding. I dont want to take any chances. Do they sell complete units or do I have to rebuild it?

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; May 23rd, 2024 at 12:32 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 11:32 PM
CF Veteran

I’m not sure - that question will probably best be answered by a knowledgeable and experienced parts person.

My guess is if there was/is enough demand for an axle tube assembly, GM and/or the aftermarket would have something available - however, a lot of things changed after 2020, so it may have been available a few years ago and isn’t anymore.

You may also find something available directly from GM by entering the VIN on a GM parts website - typically the local GM dealer will have customer access for their parts diagrams; or you can try calling the parts counter at the local dealer.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; May 23rd, 2024 at 12:33 AM.