Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

maxed out camber

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2024, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation maxed out camber

I went to a shop got an alignment and 2 new tires. they said everything was good. 2 weeks later my tires are chopping on the inside. brought it back. they tried to say they don;t do camber adjustments on big trucks like mine. 2000 chevy express 3500 6.6 TD box van. then proceeded to tell me I needed upper control arms and that the camber bolts are maxed out, the bushings on the upper were old but not bad, also the camber bolts were not adjusted at all. over $1400 in parts and repairs. I did it myself. had to weld a new mount bc they factory one was shot. BUT... the camber on the other side is way off, I have the bolt all the way out and it is still like 4 degrees off. the only thing I didn't replace was the lower control arm. all new ball joints upper and lower. new control arm on the upper, new bearings, rotors, pads and calipers. I replaced everything but the lower control arm and lower bushings.
WTF am I missing? the only thing I can think of is the lower control arm bushings are bad? pushed the bottom of the tire out too much? thought the lower ball joint was not pressed in right, but it's tight to the lip. I also got the new camber bolts that are 2.5 degrees + or - which really doesn't matter bc the bolt is maxed out in that slot cut out on the upper arm mount. really don't want to grind down the bolt holes. I looked for offset bushings for the upper, can't find any. but that doesn't explain why its like 4 degrees out. I have never had an issue like this.
could the spindle not be on right? the rotor spins freely and there is no grinding or rubbing sounds.
All the new parts are moog. I measured the old and the new and they are an exact match. this is my work truck and without it I'm screwed.
any suggestions or thoughts?
Old July 5th, 2024, 12:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 354 Likes on 335 Posts

Welcome from Florida. It is possible the frame is bent.