Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear Power Liftgate won't automatically

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2013, 11:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Power Liftgate won't automatically

I have a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban LTZ. I've been having issues with the rear power liftgate. It opens automatically with no problems using the switch on the handle or the fob, but it will not close automatically using the switch on the bottom of the gate or the fob. Makes no sounds or movements at all when I try these methods. I have to close it manually. Also, after closing the liftgate manually and getting back in the vehicle, sometimes "Rear Access Open" is displayed on the DIC. Have to get back out and close it again. Such a PIA. I've searched all the forums and threads I can find, but there's no clear answer for a fix. I bought a new latch motor hoping it would be a cheap and easy fix, but it didn't help. If someone out there could help me figure this out, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks.
Old August 21st, 2013, 4:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Anybody??
Old August 21st, 2013, 9:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

starting point would be to check for codes in the liftgate module with a full function scan tool.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:32 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to replace the Rear Lift Gate Latch Assembly. They use Metal and Plastic gears, guess which strips. This will fix it. Of course being a gm, replacing mine fixed: The Rear Lift Gate, DVD Player, and NAV. Don't ask, its a gm. But I swear, when I put the new one, suddenly everything worked in harmony, gm piece of junk...

Oh, and the part is $400, exclusive and hard to get in NY, but plentiful in FL, and the unit is made in Canada! So of course its hard to get in NY!
Old January 9th, 2014, 12:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Joe In NY
You have to replace the Rear Lift Gate Latch Assembly. They use Metal and Plastic gears, guess which strips. This will fix it. Of course being a gm, replacing mine fixed: The Rear Lift Gate, DVD Player, and NAV. Don't ask, its a gm. But I swear, when I put the new one, suddenly everything worked in harmony, gm piece of junk...

Oh, and the part is $400, exclusive and hard to get in NY, but plentiful in FL, and the unit is made in Canada! So of course its hard to get in NY!
Do you have visual proof the gears were stripped? You could have just reset the system, or fixed a bad connection when you replaced the switch.

The old one may have been fine.
Old January 10th, 2014, 8:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the gears are in the liftgate motor not the latch. If the motor gears were stripped it wouldn't work at all.

check for codes in the liftgate module. This system has complete self diagnostic capabilities
Old February 3rd, 2020, 11:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default Power liftgate wont auto close

I have replaced latch twice, just in case the first new one was bad out of the box. Opens just fine but wont close. Makes a click sound but that's ot when using fob, button on bottom of gate and button upfront. Anyone have some answers?
Old April 27th, 2020, 3:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem

Originally Posted by Wake14
I have replaced latch twice, just in case the first new one was bad out of the box. Opens just fine but wont close. Makes a click sound but that's ot when using fob, button on bottom of gate and button upfront. Anyone have some answers?
I’m having the same problem with my Yukon with the rear latch. Hoping you got yours fixed and would explain what the problem was. Thanks in advance.
Old April 27th, 2020, 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by JKirk
I’m having the same problem with my Yukon with the rear latch. Hoping you got yours fixed and would explain what the problem was. Thanks in advance.
no, Havent had any time to mess with it.
Old April 28th, 2020, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

We figured out our problem yesterday. You have to drop the headliner at the gate. You'll see the wire rubbing the metal where it bends to drop down. Once this area was repaired, the liftgate worked fine.

Quick Reply: Rear Power Liftgate won't automatically