Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

help with electrical

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2019, 8:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with electrical

I am stuck and I hope someone here can help. my 2007 Chevy equinox randomly restarts the the dash and steering assist. I have dug through wires, I am running with half the cars electronics removed to try to narrow it down. I am getting a code of c0899 u2107 c0460 p0463. I have looked at every ground I can find. when the glitch happens there is no sputter in the engine, all the gauges do there power on thing, the radio restarts, the doors relocated and steering assist stops working for a moment. I am lost on this issue please help if you can.
Old August 15th, 2019, 1:11 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by izlav
I am stuck and I hope someone here can help. my 2007 Chevy equinox randomly restarts the the dash and steering assist. I have dug through wires, I am running with half the cars electronics removed to try to narrow it down. I am getting a code of c0899 u2107 c0460 p0463. I have looked at every ground I can find. when the glitch happens there is no sputter in the engine, all the gauges do there power on thing, the radio restarts, the doors relocated and steering assist stops working for a moment. I am lost on this issue please help if you can.
Man, that's a lot of OBD II codes of different kinds. I would be checking for good grounding first off, particularly if you live in the rust-belt or near to the ocean. Could be a bad ECM too, but I hope not. Doubt if it will help at all, but disconnecting the battery for a while cant hurt, but likely it wont make any difference either, since you have been looking for a bad wire or ground issue already.
Old August 18th, 2019, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Man, that's a lot of OBD II codes of different kinds. I would be checking for good grounding first off, particularly if you live in the rust-belt or near to the ocean. Could be a bad ECM too, but I hope not. Doubt if it will help at all, but disconnecting the battery for a while cant hurt, but likely it wont make any difference either, since you have been looking for a bad wire or ground issue already.

I have tried the battery disconnect and tightened every ground I could find. that was well before I asked for help.. lol.. I have even taken the dash off and seats out looking for the issue. I have no pico scope or anything to help track the issue
Old August 19th, 2019, 9:42 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

It seems pretty obvious that you have a bad connection somewhere considering the odd combination of troublecodes you are getting. I would start by disconnecting and inspecting the plug going to the ECM above the battery. If that looks good, I would remove and reinsert every fuse and relay in the underhood fuse block and do the same for the instrument panel fuse block.

If the problem persists, then disconnect the battery and remove the underhood fuse block. There is a large plug that connects to the underside of the underhood fuse block. Disconnect that plug and inspect it for problems.

If at this point you still don't see anything, then you should inspect the plugs going to the BCM and the instrument panel fuse block. The BCM is located in front of the shift lever assembly and requires removing the bezel around the radio & HVAC controls and part of the console for access. The I/P fuse block has two large plugs going to it. Inspect those as well.

Last edited by ruley73; August 19th, 2019 at 9:47 AM.
Old September 19th, 2019, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
It seems pretty obvious that you have a bad connection somewhere considering the odd combination of troublecodes you are getting. I would start by disconnecting and inspecting the plug going to the ECM above the battery. If that looks good, I would remove and reinsert every fuse and relay in the underhood fuse block and do the same for the instrument panel fuse block.

If the problem persists, then disconnect the battery and remove the underhood fuse block. There is a large plug that connects to the underside of the underhood fuse block. Disconnect that plug and inspect it for problems.

If at this point you still don't see anything, then you should inspect the plugs going to the BCM and the instrument panel fuse block. The BCM is located in front of the shift lever assembly and requires removing the bezel around the dio & HVAC controls and part of the console for access. The I/P fuse block has two large plugs going to it. Inspect those as well.

I went back trough all the connectors including the fuse box, cleaned and used grease on them. all was fine for about a week then it rained. now it is a constant state of glitch and the reverse lights, on brake light and one marker lamp will not turn off. I am really at witts end, it's a straight hourly rate at a shop which could easily add up to more than the car is worth and according to identafix it says to start throwing parts at it.

if anyone has any other suggestions I would be very greatful
Old September 20th, 2019, 11:02 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

I went back trough all the connectors including the fuse box, cleaned and used grease on them. all was fine for about a week then it rained. now it is a constant state of glitch and the reverse lights, on brake light and one marker lamp will not turn off. I am really at witts end, it's a straight hourly rate at a shop which could easily add up to more than the car is worth and according to identafix it says to start throwing parts at it.

if anyone has any other suggestions I would be very greatful
Make sure all the tail lights are the correct type and properly installed. Pay special attention to ensure the alignment pegs on the bulb properly line up with the slots in the socket. The slots/pegs are offset to ensure the bulb is installed properly, but somehow people still find a way to install them backwards.

Also, if the vehicle has a hitch & trailer wiring installed, be sure to look at that too.

I still think you have a bad connection or an exposed wire somewhere that the rain provoked a short with.
Old September 26th, 2019, 2:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default You a leak I had to get a windshield replacement cause it leaked and got things damp

I had to have a windshield replacement cause it was leaking sounds like something is getting wet is there a keyless starting system