Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Caprice wiring problem THERES NO POWER!!!

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2011, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caprice wiring problem THERES NO POWER!!!

My serches for information have turned up empty handed, and with my
limited knowledge I'm in need of some direction. Alright, here goes:

bought car as is:
1986 Caprice Classic
305 swapped with small block 350
Holley 650 Carb
hedmann headers
dual magnaflow exhaust
lightweight pullies
performance camshaft

I was removing my capacitor for my subs (1 farad) last fall when i was prepping it for the winter, and I was in a rush and forgot to disconnect the battery (yes, i know....) the two wires touched the body and I lost all electrical. I figured it was a blown under dash fuse and had to leave it until this spring to have a look. Here's the problem: all under dash fuses are ok, except for the ones at the top because I couldnt get to them to check ( i tried to remove the fuse block but I cant figure out how it comes apart from the harnass on the engine compartment side of the firewall). I've checked all wires looking for anything burned/frayed in the engine and dash, but everything looks ok. I installed a killswitch cut from the starter wire on the steering column and the engine turns, but i have no spark, no headlights, interior....anything. I tested the voltages at the fuse block with the key in "on" and all that I tested read 0.

One of my buddies helping me out with this said that they're may be a "master fuse" that brings power to everything in the box not sure on the legitimacy of this claim. My haynes manual and several sites said that I should have fusible links, but I dont! the red wire off the solenoid goes directly to the fuse panel. I'm trying to find electrical diagrams for the harnass going to the fuse block so that i could *hopefully* with some help rewire the block with maxis. Any info on something else to check would be appreciated, or any links that may be of some relevance.