Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

02 Silverado Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2011, 2:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Silverado Exhaust Questions

Hi new poster here. Love the forum and the huge amounts of info on it. Anyway my question...

I have an 02 Chevy silverado 1500 and I'm trying to figure out what will be the best exhaust setup for it. Right now I have just pretty much replaced the stock muffler with a magnaflow and put on a genaric tip. Its sounds decent but it's not really the loud amazing rumble I hear from 90% of the other chevy's on the road. I don't really have $600-1000 bucks to drop into the exhaust system right now, so my options are somewhat limited. I hear flowmaster has that nice rumble and aggressive sound when you get on it. I want something that when just crusing around you can hear it, but when I get on it it's something everyone can hear.

Im not looking for the typical straight pipe crackle or machin gun style sound. Want the hot rod kinda sound. I'v been reading that maybe a super 10 or super 44 would give me more or less the sound I'm looking for.

Also my 02 is there a way to remove the cat's without causing major problems? I was thinkin about removing them but every muffler shop I go to say's that it will cause nothing but problems. I'm not worried about the check engine light being on. I just wanna know if it will effect performance and what not. Is there a o2 sensor delete kit a guy could buy?

Thanks again for all the info
Old April 15th, 2011, 4:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well if you remove the cats, it'll make your truck run pretty bad, you'd have to get a custom tune to delete the readings from the O2 sensors. I'm not a big fan of flowmasters but some sound ok. super 44 to me sounds best but with the cats off they sound horrible IMO. keep the stock y-pipe and run a single 3" pipe to whatever muffler you
Old April 15th, 2011, 5:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agreed if you take off the cats it will begin to sound like machine gun fire and will sound like crap. on diesels this is different, but never do it on gas. I prefer the super 44 though im moving to the super 10s, dont buy flowmaster unless you are gettin a super series because you will get a terrible drone. otherwise if you know how to shatter glasspacks, they sound good as well but brand new and un shattered they sound like a machine gun.

Here is a forum that explains all the stuff you will want to know, just put it in the search: Exhaust system - cat back, true duals, headers, etc. - Explanations?