Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

02 Silverado Trans

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2013, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Silverado Trans

I just changed the trans oil in my 02 1500 Silverado. I just checked the level and it is about 1-2 quarts high.
Will this cause a problem ?? What are the symptons I should look for.

Thanks, Alan
Old August 24th, 2013, 9:34 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe that it could cause a serious problem - related to pressure or "foaming" of the fluid; but your best bet is to ask a professional mechanic or transmission shop for advice.

Depending upon the capacity of your transmission, 1 or 2 quarts might not matter much.
Old August 25th, 2013, 11:22 AM
CF Active Member

Default Fluid Level

If you put the correct amount of fluid in during filter change you should be O K but make sure you check oil on level ground, engine running and warmed up and in park. If level is still high I'd drain some until fluid level is in the proper marks on the stick.

Last edited by ToooTall1; August 25th, 2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old August 27th, 2013, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

None the wiser, I made the mistake of not measuring how much came out when I drain the fluid to drop the pan in order to replace the gasket and filter.
How much you put is very important. Too much is just as bad as too little. If you have put too much, it may even leak the access fluid out but typically your gears may slip.

Mine was only about a pint too much but even then, especially the reverse was slipping a bit, late to engage and acting all erratic. I thought my tranny was somehow damaged, possibly the sun belt got burnt, etc. I live in a very uneven area so it was hard to find a perfectly leveled place but when I did, I discovered that it was too much. Using
MigtyVac MigtyVac
type suction tool, I sucked out the excess from the dipstick hole. That was much easier, faster and cleaner, not to mention the fact that I was sucking out 4floz. at-a-time which allowed a more controlled process.

Anyhow, like others mentioned, make sure your vehicle is parked on a level ground using one of those cheap cross-check level tool (with the bubble).
The vehicle should always be on a level ground when checking any kind of fluid levels (duh, huh?). For tranny fluid, make sure your car has warmed up already (idled for minimum 5 minutes):

- Shift through each gears while waiting about 5 seconds in each gear
- Put it in Park
- While the vehicle is still running (idling)
- Pop the hood and check the tranny level using the dipstick, you might have to clean the stick the first time, put it all the way back in for a few seconds then pull it out to check.

IF it is indeed too high (even a 1/8" above full line), leave the stick out and turn off the engine.
Using a suction tool and a 4'-7' clear hose, suck about 2-3 floz first (container the suction tool come with typically hold about 4lfoz.)
- Afterward, start the vehicle and check the level again.
- Repeat the process if you need more out but if you suck out 2floz at-a-time you, the process will be much more precise.

Remember, as long as the level is between FULL and LOW, it is good!