Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

03 Silverado Crew Cab + Navigation ??s

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2005, 2:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Silverado Crew Cab + Navigation ??s

Howdy-</P>

So I'm thinking about putting in a Pioneer AVIC-N2 or AVIC-D1.</P>

Questions:</P>

1) Do they make a double din mounting kit for the 2003. I've been told it IS double-din but NOT QUITE. Looking for an easy mount. Someone said BEST KITS #BKGMK422 might work. Anyone know where to find it??</P>

2) I have BOSE, and would like to keep BOSE AMP and BOSE SPEAKERS with the new head unit. WHich ONE's best (METRA VT-GMOS-04??) Where to find it for cheap??</P>

3) Any other help you could give me, such as where to find this crap for cheap!! will be greatly appreciated by this newbie!!!</P>

The Count</P>

</P>
Old November 23rd, 2005, 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default 03 Silverado Crew Cab + Navigation ??s

Thanks To all on this forum for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

What a worthless site this is!!</P>

</P>

</P>
Old May 29th, 2006, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 03 Silverado Crew Cab + Navigation ??s

why because no one answered right away?
Old July 17th, 2006, 8:04 PM
CF Junior Member

the d1 is a double din unit, the n1, n2, & n3 are not (will be easier to install for your application) I have a N1 in my 01 silverado and picked up a scosche install kit at wal mart for about $20. It looks nice. There is also an adapter that you might have to special order to keep your bose amp. Also the N1 is the only one that allows you to watch dvd's while on the road, all the others have a safety feature that cannot be disabled as the N1 can. Hope this helps...
Old January 11th, 2007, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

I have an 07 silverado classic:
first: you will have to break the dash significantly behind the radio to get a true double din in, i did on my eclipse AVN5500. Metra makes a double din kit that comes with the single din kit, if you know someone at like circuit city or best by tell them to save the double din kit and the brakets for you.
2nd: you need the special harnes the GMOS with the bose adaptor. This piece retail is like 140 dollars, if you don't use this, your check engine light can come on, air bag, oil, light, and warning message accross your dash. this piece also retains the doorchime. I would advise you to use it! I have never seen and airbag or and engine blow up or crap out, but i have never done and installation with out it. i have only heard horror stories from GM reps.
3rd: You need to buy RCA's and cut them and wire them into the speaker lines from the car side and plug them into the RCA outs on the head unit. You need to do this to be safe and not fry the bose amplifier. If you just hook up the speaker lines your aftermarket headunit will be sending out an amplified signal. The bose amp is looking for a low level non amplified signal, this why you use RCA's they are low level.
4th: i have a spare double din dash kit if you want email me with your address and i will send you one. gman75@tampabay.rr.com. if you have any other questions or anything just email me.

I have read a lot on this forum about the audio side of things and honestly from what i have read there is a lot of people that have a minimal understanding of this stuff. I have installed for over 5 years now with a couple companies and audio shops. Be careful what you read and believe. Your best bet is to talk to a car audio shop to verify the info on this site before doing anything, problem there is if you talk to an inexperianced person.
Old November 26th, 2012, 4:36 PM
CF Junior Member

i know the quality on a Pioneer or Kenwood is probably a little better than the unit "OEM replacement" unit I am looking at but it does allow me to avoid the tricky installing of dash unit + harness + head unit. I mean, the radio does have all same main features...DVD, CD, SD, GPS, RADIO, BACK UP CAMERA, BLUE-TOOTH, but I'm stuck between this Android OS unit that seems to be coming out onto the markets...I have first seen the ANDROID OS from Dynavin...and then now...this company Otto Navi GPS is starting to make OEM style specific headunits running of of Android Os...

My questions now are ....

1) Has anyone heard anything of these in-dash Android OS head units?

2) If you were in MY shoes...which unit would u get? [posted link below] Price difference is about $170 between their Windows CE 6.0 and Android 2.3.4. But still keeping it under $800.

Silverado Navigation System | OttoNavi