Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

05 dash cluster

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2009, 10:21 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 dash cluster

im sure this has came up before, but i searched and cant find crap.
am i able to put in a dash cluster from an HD truck in my Z71 for the trans temp gauge? i thought i read somewhere its already wired, and the temp sensors are there for the ECU. does it work with the other style dash? or can i put just the gauge into my existing dash cluster? truck just rolled 50k miles i dont want to F up the odometer just yet.
Old May 20th, 2009, 7:50 AM
CF Active Member

yes you can. just make sure its out of a 6.0 gas not an 8.1 or duramax (the tachs or different).
i went with an ss cluster in my 06. its just plug and play, just remember that the mileage is stored in the cluster. so your mileage will not match for the hd/ss clusters to your original. your dealer may be able to program it. it depends on what the laws are.
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:37 AM
CF Active Member

ok thanks.i thought ir emembered reading that on here before but couldnt find the thread.
im trying to find one with just over 50k on it, then i can get mine as close as possible to that before i change it
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:12 PM
CF Active Member

here are some on ebay but i wouldnt pay over $100 for one. i think i got my ss one for like 90 plus free shipping shcram auto parts on ebay is who i got mine from.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-Ch...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...Q5fAccessories
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:42 PM
CF Active Member

back to this.... i found one at a local junk yard from an 06 2500HD, and i got it really cheap, no biggie. so then i realize after putting it in that the steering wheel buttons dont show anything on the dash for the vehicle settings, fuel mileage ect.. so i guess it came from a W/T.
apparently i need to get one from a 2500 that had the steering wheel controls or an SS.
Old May 29th, 2009, 7:29 AM
CF Active Member

no, you should be able to take it to the dealer and they can activate those settings through the tech 2 tool they have. i thought i heard of someone doing that before. might want to give the dealer a call and see.
Old May 29th, 2009, 5:39 PM
CF Active Member

ok i will check with them next week, i WAS going to just solder the gauge into my dash cluster and change the face plate also, but mine has the digital gear indicator and the other face plate doesnt, so that ****s that idea.
Old May 30th, 2009, 7:08 AM
CF Active Member

yea in 06 they went to the little orange "dot" to indicate the gears (which is what i assume you meant). i prefer this though, thats why i made sure i got an 06 ss cluster for my 06 truck.

also the earlier years 05 and down, seemed to have problems with the steeper motors going bad on the clusters. i havent hear much about the 06-07 ones going bad yet. so im crossing my fingers.
Old May 30th, 2009, 7:23 AM
CF Active Member

yea i like the 06 gear indicator bettter than the 05 digital one, my stepper motors sounded bad in thew old dash.im gonna have to call a different dealership, these guys in service never answer or call you back.....
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are also other features that you have to look for, i ran into a problem with my truck when i got a new cluster that the cruise controll wouldn't show up on the cluster, also the over drive disable light and tow haul light,
Odometer can be turned ahead so when you replace your cluster find one that has less miles and the dealer can turn it ahead to match original miles. Also becareful when buying a used one, these clusters are know to go bad and you can get your original one rebuild for around 200 bucks, that way you don't have to worry about mileage changes and stuff.

Quick Reply: 05 dash cluster