Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

05 Silverado 1500

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2010, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Silverado 1500

Hey guys i'm new, i just got me a 05 silverado 1500 z71 5.3l

I'm looking to get some more power, I was thinking about getting a Bully dog Triple dog GT Module it gains 30+hp on 93 octane and a throttle body spacer, intake and exhaust,

I was going to make my own intake from autozone since others are a good $300.
What exhaust do you guys suggest with little cost that I can do on my own? I was thinking of removing the cat (no emissions at inspecting in my small town) and a cherry bomb vortex or extreme muffler in origonal position with the same exhaust out the end with a black chrome tip.

ANYWAYS, what are some other easy/cheap ways to add power to these trucks? other than chip, intake exhaust? will a throttle body spacer help much? I am by no means trying to make this into a race truck, just a little quicker, any suggestions are greatly appricated
thanks
Old February 1st, 2010, 9:25 PM
CF Junior Member

throttle body spacers are waste of money. Don't make your own intake. You can buy a JR Airaid kit for $150. Most local muffler shops can make a custom exhaust for less than $200. If you remove your cats, the back 2 oxygen sensors will need turned off. If you get a custom tune they will do that for you.
Old February 1st, 2010, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

why not make my own intake, its the same **** as a k&n or Airad just costs less.... and you dont get a cool little sticker to put on your back window to make yourself look pathetic. to me intakes are 100% overrated because all it is is a plastic tube that costs $1 for them to make and a filter that costs maybe $2 for them to make and a $3 heat shield that they turn around and make a huge profit off of. or I can go to autozone and make my own for $25 thats maybe 1hp less.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 1:24 AM
CF Active Member

removing the cats is a big waste of time and makes the CEL come on. you dont gain jack **** by taking those off, tried it, runs worse.
I made my own intake tube with a piece of stainless mandrel bent pipe i had left over from a diesel exhaust job, and made up my own air box with a K&N. Autozone filters are junk, buy a K&N at least if your gonna make your own.
There really isnt much power to be gained without alot of expensive modifications, a better flowing muffler in the stock exhaust system helped some, i was more after some sound.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 9:05 AM
CF Beginner

some people just have too much money
Old February 2nd, 2010, 8:19 PM
CF Junior Member

if your just wanting cheap then put an airfilter on the front of your throttle body and see how things work out
Old February 2nd, 2010, 8:41 PM
CF Active Member

your forgetting you have to keep the airflow sensor inline, and the filter right on the front just draws in heat
works good