Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old August 10th, 2015, 7:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

05 silverado oil pressure too high

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2010, 6:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must be the cold weather, my OP gauge started maxing out last week. Changed the oil and filter out of paranoidia, and it had no effect. I believe it's either the gauge or sending unit. Truck runs like a top.
Old October 9th, 2012, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I have searched the internet all morning looking for something similar, and this thread is as close as I can get.

I bought my truck (2005 Chevy Silverado Z-71 4X4) used, June-2011, 82,000. Since I bought it, the oil pressure gauge on the dash has read 80 PSI, MAXed out. In Aug this year, the oil pressure gauge began to drop, jump back up, etc... At first it was once. This last week, it had "yo-yoed" back and forth, mainly after the first start up? I have had my oil changed, or have changed it myself using Pensoil Ultra synthetic 4 times in the last year. There is no knocking, tickin, or other noise when the gauge drops. It stays up after the truck is running a few mintues. The bad thing is it's intermitant.

Not sure if it matters, but within the same day of this happening, my Mass Air Sensor lite came on, FIRST (had it read by code reader at a shop). Within a few miles, the oil pressure dropped, then rose again. It didn't happen for a couple of weeks, then one week, it did it twice. The next week, maybe 4 times. And like I said before, it's becoming a pretty constant thing lately?

The Mass Air Sensor seems to have a mind of it's own? It comes on, goes off, sometimes 3 times in a day?

I am begining to think there is a ground problem, or short in the wiring harness. Again, I had NEITHER of these problems unitl the Mass Air Sensor light came on. No other codes are read?

Can anyone HELP with this problem? Pressure sending unit? Oil gauge? Wiring?

Last edited by Tred; October 12th, 2012 at 2:34 PM.