Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 27th, 2015, 2:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

07 NBS Silverado Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2009, 7:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 NBS Silverado Starting Problem

Hi all, I have a 2007 NBS Silverado that i purchased used about 5 months ago, it had about 7,500 miles on it when i purchased it. It now has just over 16,000 miles on it. Just lately i have started to have a problem that when i go to crank it up, it acts as if the battery is dead, then i can crank it again and it starts right up, the clock has reset, but thats the only thing i notice. It doesnt do it all the time, maybe once every few days. Any particular problem areas i should be looking at to maybe trace down the problem? Its been years since ive owned a chevy truck, just looking for a little help and guridance. Thank you in advance.

Another thing about this problem is that it will happen within like 5-10 minutes of driving sometimes. I can drive for 30 minutes or so going somewhere, get out of the vehicle for 2 minutes, and when i get back in, this problem will appear, not sure if that will help. Im sure it all leads back to battery, alternator, etc.

Last edited by fire165; July 7th, 2009 at 8:53 PM. Reason: Left out some info.
Old July 7th, 2009, 7:44 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to have the electrical system checked (battery, starter and alternator. Also I think there is a TSB for a battery drain that requires a reprogram by the dealer. My truck is a 2007 that I purchased in December of 2008 shortly after the battery failed. Started out cranking slow then if I drove it it would be ok for a few days, then if i left the door open for too long it would be dead but if I jumped it it would be fine again for a few days.
Old August 7th, 2009, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

I too am having this problem, but I already had the TBS thing done to it and it did not fix the problem. I literally carry a jumper box in my backseat because it happens so often. My biggest mistake is when I stop to put gas and leave the key in the ignition. It always dies on me. I called the dealer but they said that since they already did the TBS thing, they say it had to have taken or my truck would not have driven out of there. And now that I'm at 62k miles, I'm out of warranty and they don't want to try the TBS again. Any suggestions?
Old August 7th, 2009, 8:44 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Replace the battery. Once the TSB is done, it is done it does not come undone.
Old August 8th, 2009, 9:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd go with MDTAHOE's suggestions first.

If the problem persists, it's possible you need to replace your battery cables.
Old August 8th, 2009, 10:24 AM
CF Beginner

Ok, I'll give that a try. But will this allow me to leave the key in the ignition say while pumping gas and it won't kill the battery? I mean, we can do this in any other car, so shouldn't it be fine to do on the Silverado?
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

You should be able to leave the key in the ignition and play the radio for HOURS not minutes on every car/truck as long as the battery is good and being charged by the alternator. Based on the age of the truck and battery it is almost certain that the battery is your problem
Old August 11th, 2009, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Hi all, pretty good responses. The one thing i can say about my problem is that it doesnt do it all the time. Basically what happens is i can go to try and start the truck, and trun the key to igniton and it acts like its dead, and it resets the clock and a/c to default settings. Then when i turn the key off and retry to start it, the truck starts right up. SO that leads me to beleive that its not a battery problem.

I also noticed something else today that was kind of strange, that while driving down the highway today at about 60 mph, the SRS light started to flash, the it went off. It did it again about 10 minutes later when i went to pass someone on the road and the truck shifted kind of hard, and the SRS light started to flash again. So i dont know what is going on now.
Old August 17th, 2011, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

I know this post is a few years old, but I ran across it while looking for an explanation for my problem. Mine is doing the same thing when trying to start occasionally. It goes to start and then just completely shuts down. When you turn the key again it cranks right up, but the clock and A/C controls are set back to default. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow and was wondering if you ever found out what was causing this.
Old August 18th, 2011, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

Well here is what happenend with mine. The next time i took my truck into the dealership they ran a test and found that the battery had a dead cell on it, so they replaced the battery and everything worked great. But then about 3 months ago the same thing started happening again. I took a look underneath and found that the battery cables were coming loose from the battery post, and the least little bit of movement would cause the cable to loose contact or something. I retightend the cables to the battery post and everything is working fine again.

Quick Reply: 07 NBS Silverado Starting Problem