Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old August 7th, 2015, 7:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

'09 Dome light issue...little help

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2009, 8:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 Dome light issue...little help

I just bought a 2009 Silverado LT Ex. Cab 4x4 and have noticed that every time I open the doors to get in or out of the vehicle the dome lights will not turn on. I have flipped through the manual and have tried pressing the dome light switch on the lower left hand side of the dash and the lights will switch on or off but the problem is entering and exiting the truck. I have tried both configurations for the switch (pressed and depressed) Anyone else having a problem like this?

I have done a few searches and everything that comes up is fuse related. The truck only has 500 miles on it and the fuses are fine so I am a little confused as to why they don't work.
Old November 1st, 2009, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a dome light bypass switch on the head light switch. It is not labeled and does not look like a switch. Push in on the small little square on the headlight switch. The dealer turned my dome light bypass when they programmed my alarm and they forgot to un bypass it when they gave it back. The switch is not in the owners manual. I think I googled it to find it.
Old November 1st, 2009, 7:57 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Subject:</TD><TD vAlign=top>Dome Lights Inoperative - keywords bulb console courtesy interior lamp lamps lens light overhead switch</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Models:</TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, EXT, ESV</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2008-2009 Chevrolet Express</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2009 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2008-2009 GMC Savana </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2008-2009 Hummer H2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR>This PI was superceded to include the G van and add the 2009 model year. Please discard PIT4195B.
<HR>The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment that their dome lamps do not come on when any door is opened.
Recommendation/Instructions:

Before any repairs are attempted, ensure that the dome over ride (push button) switch has not been activated. Vehicles may arrive from the assembly plant with the dome over ride activated due to battery conservation at the assembly plant(s). The dome over ride switch is located on left side of I/P and to the right of the headlamp **** (as shown below). If this switch is pushed inward, the dome over ride feature is activated. There is no LED to indicate the feature has been activated, the button will be recessed slightly from its normal position.

Old November 4th, 2009, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks a ton Shawn. I just brought home my first brand new vehicle. 09 Ext. 1500 z71 LT. 5.3L last week on Friday. Couldn't find the freakin dome lights!!
Old November 4th, 2009, 9:10 PM
CF Junior Member

I dont know much about the 09 model but in my 05 it has steering wheel controls and in there I can program it when it comes on and for how long. If your truck does not have steering wheel controls than it could be another switch located near it which could be unlabeld. Or you may have a faulty switch, ive had that happen to me also and it wouldnt pop a fuse but it would lead a person to that. hope that helps
Old January 27th, 2011, 2:01 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by shawnvw
Before any repairs are attempted, ensure that the dome over ride (push button) switch has not been activated. Vehicles may arrive from the assembly plant with the dome over ride activated due to battery conservation at the assembly plant(s). The dome over ride switch is located on left side of I/P and to the right of the headlamp **** (as shown below). If this switch is pushed inward, the dome over ride feature is activated. There is no LED to indicate the feature has been activated, the button will be recessed slightly from its normal position.
That's exactly it! My 2008 Express 3500 manual describes it but in a not-so-obvious way. The override button doesn't look like a button and I missed it the first time. Now that I pushed it, the dome light works! Thank you so much.
Old January 29th, 2012, 10:16 AM
CF Beginner

Hi Shawnvw,

I have been driving my new 2008 Silverado for the past 6 months and was unable to get my interior lights turn on/off during door opening/closing. I even posted the following thread https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sil...lverado-44803/ with no solution.

Your hint below was VERY helpful and I was able to get them working now. I have seen the "Dome Light" sign as you show, but I thought it was for the push in/out button.

Anyway, I just did it on my Silverado and I happy now.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by shawnvw
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Subject:</TD><TD vAlign=top>Dome Lights Inoperative - keywords bulb console courtesy interior lamp lamps lens light overhead switch</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Models:</TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, EXT, ESV</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2008-2009 Chevrolet Express</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2009 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2008-2009 GMC Savana </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2008-2009 Hummer H2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR>This PI was superceded to include the G van and add the 2009 model year. Please discard PIT4195B.
<HR>The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment that their dome lamps do not come on when any door is opened.
Recommendation/Instructions:

Old July 19th, 2012, 3:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default Dome light won't go off

2009 YukonXL Denali dome light stays on while driving goes off after
Turning off have tried switch on left dash panel
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:25 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sjcollins
2009 YukonXL Denali dome light stays on while driving goes off after
Turning off have tried switch on left dash panel
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Are you receiving a "Door Ajar" message as well?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 17th, 2013, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

Smile Thanks for the insight - Problem Fixed

Thanks for the insight guys this fixed my issue with the dome lights not coming on when the doors open. We just purchased our Avalanche 2 days ago and for the life of me I could not figure out how to get the dome lights on without manually overiding them.

Quick Reply: '09 Dome light issue...little help