Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old August 10th, 2015, 1:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

1997 1500 High-Mount Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2011, 6:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 1500 High-Mount Brake Light

Attempting to replace the bulbs inside the housing for the high-mount brake lights, but it looks like the owner before me glued it shut. Is the plastic piece covering the lights supposed to come off after the screws come out, or is the whole black housing and lens one piece?

Also, having trouble with passenger side reverse light/blinker light (it's the bottom light on the light assembly). I tried putting new bulbs in it, but that didn't work. The driver's side works just fine, and the blinker is working in the front, so it's not a fuse or a switch...I'm thinking faulty wiring. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.
Old July 13th, 2011, 9:55 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 96 silverado, and i have had trouble with my 3rd brakelight also. After you take the screws out, the lens should just wiggle off. The black piece is actually a gasket-like material that forms a seal with the lens.

About the blinker issue, if the bulbs are good, and the flasher is working, it is either faulty wiring or a bad bulb connector in the taillight itself.
Old September 16th, 2012, 8:45 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Westontaylor
Attempting to replace the bulbs inside the housing for the high-mount brake lights, but it looks like the owner before me glued it shut. Is the plastic piece covering the lights supposed to come off after the screws come out, or is the whole black housing and lens one piece?

Also, having trouble with passenger side reverse light/blinker light (it's the bottom light on the light assembly). I tried putting new bulbs in it, but that didn't work. The driver's side works just fine, and the blinker is working in the front, so it's not a fuse or a switch...I'm thinking faulty wiring. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

I had problem with tail light also. I had to change the circuit board in the tail light. One of the connectors was burnt, probably a short.