Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1998 Silverado Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2012, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1998 Silverado Starting Problem

Hello Everyone, I have a 1998 Chevy Silverado 2wd 5.7L C1500.

The other day..um more like a week ago now i came home parked my truck and 4 hours later i was going to leave but my truck wouldnt start just crank and crank.

Next day i sprayed either in the throttle body and it ran only long enough to burn up the either..did that a couple more times and it finally started and ran till i shut it off..tried to start it again and no start. the next day it started right up so i drove it..went to test the fuel pressure and it sat right between 50-55 psi, reved it and it jumped to 60psi. anytime i would crank it and it would try to start if the pressure didnt fall below 45psi but anything above it it started. pressure did hold steady after it was shut off tho.

another mechanic said the fuel pressure regulator was bad..so i replaced that but before i did that the truck did actually start up and run. got everything buttoned back up and no start just cranks and cranks.

got spark and air flow. i just cant figure this thing out, its got me and other people thinking

Any ideas anyone?
Old July 20th, 2012, 7:29 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You either have a failing fuel pump, or an electrical issue to it.
Old July 20th, 2012, 8:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
You either have a failing fuel pump, or an electrical issue to it.

ive had the fuel pump replaced twice now, but i personally hevent done it myself any time. you think the wires going to the fuel pump or the wires on the fuel pump?
Old May 22nd, 2013, 9:15 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

I had a similar problem a couple of year ago. My fuel pump was not working properly and it left me sitting on the side of the road and would not start. I replaced the fuel pump relay and it fired up but would only run for about half an hour at a time. We lowered the tank and replaced the wiring harness on top of the tank that was shorting out, over heating the relay and causing it to trip not allowing power to get to the fuel pump. That harness replacement fixed the problem. It might be something to check.
Old July 29th, 2013, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default 96 C1500 5.0 L no start

I bought the truck running with no problems. After sitting for a couple weeks was having trouble starting right up every so often. Finally took it out and was running for about four hrs with no problems. Parked over night and in morning it would crank but would not catch. Fuel pump had gone so I replaced it along with filter. Didnt touch anything else. Now she is a CH away from running but still basically just cranks. Have 60 psi at the rail. Have spark and still wont start. Smells strongly of gas after cranking. Throwing no codes and wiring seems to be all in place. Almost feels like a timing issue but am completly stuck. Would be great if I could get some advice on where to go next. Have no clue whatsoever. Thanks very much!!!!
Old July 20th, 2014, 1:49 AM
CF Beginner

how much is a fule pump wiring harness? 96 chevy Tahoe v8 5.7 vortec.
Old July 20th, 2014, 8:39 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

When replacing a fuel pump it does not pay to buy an aftermarket cheap pump. They usually do not last for long. It is worth the extra money to but either a Delco or Delphi pump. They last longer and pay for themselves in the long run.
Old July 29th, 2015, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Default Cranks but won't start.

My 98 1500, brand new battery will crank but won't start. I can jump it and it will start, and put fuel in the throttle body and it will start, afterwards it will remain on and start again. It will not start though after sitting for a few hours. I have already replaced the filter thinking no fuel getting to the throttle body, but no avail. Checked connections and seems fine. Any other thoughts will be appreciated.
Old July 29th, 2015, 10:17 AM
CF Active Member

That sounds like an electrical issue to me.
Old July 29th, 2015, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

But where would the issue be.