Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:09 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

2003 Silverado transfer case issue

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2008, 10:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Silverado transfer case issue

Hi all,

I have already replaced the dash selector switch on my 2003 Silverado. I tought it would fix my 4wd problem. I later found a blown fuse on the engine compartment fuse box (TREC 30 amps). Replacing the fuse didn't do better. I decided to unpluged the front differential selector motor. Doing so, i realized this little motor was functionning good. While running with the front diff. selector motor unpluged, the Auto4wd light was blinking and the truck was running on 2wd. I pushed the plug back in and run the truck with the Auto4wd light lit and the Auto4wd was doing its job, running on 2wd or 4wd depending on road condition. Curiously, no more fuse blowing! The issue now is there no way to change from Auto4wd to anything else. The selection light will blink for a few secondsand it will go back to Auto4wd mode. I can't run on 2HI nor onother selection.

I believe the 30 amps fuse is for the encoder motor electric circuit. I thought the problem would be the encoder motor as it was blowing30 amps fuses, but not since the front diff. selector motor was unpluged and plug back in.

I am stuck with this uncorrected issue and no more idea of where to go from here? Need help please
Old December 31st, 2008, 3:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: 2003 Silverado transfer case issue

I'm sorry, not to rub your nose in your mistake, but for the benefit of all,(once again) there's a good reason most serious 4WD drivers and shops recommend manual transfer case selectors. I'd advise either seeing what it would cost to get a manual installed, or trade to a truck that has one. If you're going to be using a truck that has 4wd a lot.
Old December 31st, 2008, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

I will certainly look for a manual transfer case selector installation in the near future. For the present time, this problem need to be looked at. I am confident that this forum provides more knowledge people than a simple dealership service shop. Having said that, if this issue is resolved, a bunch ofSilverado owner will be happer to learn more about transfer case malfunction.

Waiting for more feedback,

Thanks,
Old December 31st, 2008, 7:17 PM
Super Moderator

I would take it to an autozone or somewhere that can read the codes on the computer and see if there are any pertaining to the 4wd system and start there.
Old January 1st, 2009, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

I had a similar problem with my 03. I took it to the dealership and the svs mgr said that is a common problem the selector motor was replaced and that fixed the problem. it cost about 300 to fix.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 7:21 AM
CF Beginner

Hi all,

I took it to the dealership and the read the error code. I have to put a new transfer case encoder shift motor. Any idea where to find this part cheaper than the dealership? I will try to install it myself. It does not seem to complicated.
Old January 14th, 2009, 10:56 PM
CF Beginner

Check a wrecker, make sure you check the mileage on the vehicle it's comin out of. Obviously you want one with as little miles as possible.