Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2004 1500 LS not as peppy as before

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2014, 12:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 1500 LS not as peppy as before

I've noticed my "04" Silverado is losing it's pep. I've changed plugs, wires, filters, oil, water pump, alternator, and do a good job of maintaining it. About 2 years ago, when I got it, I had no problem spinning the tires from a still start. Now, after a complete tune-up, they will barely spin in the rain and, then only one tire. Lately, I've noticed an intermittent ringing sound but, only when in gear.

Thinking back, it seems this started after trailer hauling my house full of furniture some 500 miles. It was definitely load limit, if not a tad more. We were easy on it and it made the trip with minimal strain, after all, it is a truck with a towing package.

Someone, suggest it might be the differential, another pointed to the torque converter. I'm hoping some of you out there may have experienced something similar and can help me get some pep back in my '04' Silverado.

Last edited by RodmanB; October 13th, 2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old October 13th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

check your fuel pressure. if its low, it will definitely cause a lack of power. If you have a scan tool, view the fuel trim while accelerating. If the numbers are more that +10% you have a fuel delivery problem. If you have a fuel system with a return line and therefore an external fuel filter....was a fuel filter one of the filters changed?

I would love to hear the explanation of how a differential would cause a lack of power problem.

Last edited by tech2; October 13th, 2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old October 13th, 2014, 2:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm gonna say in 04 the filter was part of the pump. One whole assembly
Old October 14th, 2014, 4:03 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys, I'll run a scan on it this weekend and will post back. Air and oil filters.
Old October 15th, 2014, 9:24 PM
CF Beginner

its not the most common thing but it is something to be looked at if you are experiencing slight disengagement in power. how many miles are on the truck, and how many now. i was working on a truck about a month ago with a minor performance loss in the owner opinion. I did plugs,wires , coils(owners request) fresh oil , Intake gaskets(owners request.) fuel injectors (one did not pass resistance testing) fuel filter (2003 1500), trans filter and flush), u joints(owner request),even tested backlash on the rear and front differentials during service. o2 sensors some of the main maintenance if you will in short a lot of nothing as i didnt see the ''performance loss'' finally i suggested at 160,000 miles the torque converter might be a little tired. after installation all i can say is wow did not really think it would make such a difference. so if you have higher miles and its not brake issues or bearings holding you back i would look into it if you want your power back.
but when you spun your tires did you have newer tires, old and bald tires? just more info would be good, chek engine lights on?