Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

66 Impala Not Driven for 2 Years-- what to do before I try to start it?

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 66 Impala Not Driven for 2 Years-- what to do before I try to start it?

Hello all,

Out of the blue, I've found myself with this Impala sedan. A friend was in a bind and was about to sell it to a salvage yard for $665. I thought what a shame, and decided to offer him the money and tow it home instead.

He had driven it regularly until, one day, he needed the battery for another car, removed it, and let the Impala sit in the driveway for 2 or 3 years. I've tinkered with an old Mustang before, but I'm a novice, and have no idea what to do (fluids, plugs, etc.?) prior to attempting a start.

This is all I know about it:

Tires are flat
Needs a battery
Needs body work on one side, and rust areas taken care of
Front bench should be reupholstered
Needs a re-key on one door

Second question: If it runs, is this worth restoring? Or is it worth more as parts?

Thanks!
Carrie
Attached Thumbnails 66 Impala Not Driven for 2 Years-- what to do before I try to start it?-impala1.jpg   66 Impala Not Driven for 2 Years-- what to do before I try to start it?-impala5.jpg   66 Impala Not Driven for 2 Years-- what to do before I try to start it?-interior2.jpg   66 Impala Not Driven for 2 Years-- what to do before I try to start it?-interior.jpg  
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

I would say it is worth restoring. First I would get a battery, even if it is temporarily out of another vehicle to see if it run. I would check the oil level and if it is clean. Remove the spark plugs and spray some light oil in the cylinders. Then I would try and start it.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool! There's oil, but it's pretty dark. Should I drain the gas tank and get new?
Old May 3rd, 2012, 3:58 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Probably a good idea.
Old May 11th, 2012, 8:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
I would say it is worth restoring. First I would get a battery, even if it is temporarily out of another vehicle to see if it run. I would check the oil level and if it is clean. Remove the spark plugs and spray some light oil in the cylinders. Then I would try and start it.
Yea, 1966 Chevys are in demand. It is worth restoring.

turn the motor over by hand just to make sure it isnt binding. you probably will have to replace the rubber all over, tires, brake and radiator hoses, fuel lines, so on and so forth.