Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2001 Impala won't try to start, no security light

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2013, 2:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Impala won't try to start, no security light

Just found this forum after searching a few days for a solution to my problem. My 2001 Impala will not attempt to start. It's acting just like the pass-lock security situation but is not having the security light come on. I've had that happen in the past but it's been a while.

Turn key to on and all is good. Turn the key to start and it all shuts down with only a check engine light on. (that was on before, catalyst system crap). Release back to on, and everything comes on again, but no security light. You can hear the relays clicking into position but have to be outside the car with the hood up.

All the fuses/relays are good. Connections are tight, battery ok. We've tried jumping the car as a hail mary, but no luck. Again, won't even try to start. We took the ignition switch out, cleaned the connections with a pencil eraser. Still nothing. We are thinking it may be a bad ignition switch. We also disconnected the battery overnight thinking there may be something to reset.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 25th, 2013, 8:22 PM
Former Sponsor

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4164434AAfE2u7

[Help] Chevy Impala "Security" light - Automotive | DSLReports Forums

Get the car checked for any new fault codes.
Old June 26th, 2013, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

After further testing, it wasn't the ignition switch. We bought a new one and it did not change the situation. I also had the battery tested. Came up as bad registering only 11.7 volts but it was drained and needed charging. While that may not be what is causing the problems, it is something that needed to be replaced.

Now the new development. When I turn the key to the start position and relax it to On, I can't get the security light to come on. But if I start from off and put it to On, the security light comes on every time. Is this normal? Or is the security system only actually involved if it comes on after rebounding from the key going to the start position.
Old July 8th, 2017, 8:49 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2001 Chevy Impala 3.4L she won't start or crank up but all the lights and the radio works fine...a little bit of white smoke comes from under the hood what does this mean
Old July 8th, 2017, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2001 Chevy Impala 3.4L it wont crank or start there's also a little bit of white smoke coming from underneath the hood the lights on the dashboard and radio work fine what does this mean