Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2006 Silverado 4x4 not working.....HELP!

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2012, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Silverado 4x4 not working.....HELP!

My service four wheel drive light came on in my truck and I had it checked by a dealer. They said the controller motor needs to be changed. I did that and the only difference now is the check four wheel drive service light is not on. I also switched the dasboard switch. So now I still have a non working four wheel drive. What else could be causing the lights to not work on the switch panel in the truck?????? So I am stuck. any advice would help. thanks

Last edited by jakesheena1314; November 14th, 2012 at 3:42 PM.
Old November 16th, 2012, 2:07 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jakesheena1314,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. This may be related to an issue with the wiring harness. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis and repair option(s).

If you need assistance locating a technician near you, please PM me your zip code.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 1st, 2012, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

Jakesheena1314 -

I've got the same problem - it gets worse and worse over time. What controller motor needed to be replaced please?

I've had this before and have been told 'it gets dirty' and corroded and must be replaced. Well, $300 every year or two is getting old, so want to try to do myself this time.
Old December 5th, 2012, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

Try cleaning ground wire connection on frame,under driver side
Old December 5th, 2012, 2:13 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Only thing I can chime in on my 2000 suburban. I had to replace the switch, it was same symptoms as described. I could hear the shift motor/solenoid at times, and feel the transfer case shift. As suggested cleaning the ground connection, is the first thing to do.
Old December 6th, 2012, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jakesheena1314
My service four wheel drive light came on in my truck and I had it checked by a dealer. They said the controller motor needs to be changed. I did that and the only difference now is the check four wheel drive service light is not on. I also switched the dasboard switch. So now I still have a non working four wheel drive. What else could be causing the lights to not work on the switch panel in the truck?????? So I am stuck. any advice would help. thanks
Ive got the same year model and same problem. The "service 4wd" light keeps coming on and when it does I cant engage my 4wd high or low. Sometimes I can turn truck off and back on and it will let me.

Surley someone has had the same problem and has the fix for it. If so please post for us poor chumps who cant afford going to the dealer everytime the wind blows.

AND the Chevy Reps who chime in on these topics, if you don't have any other suggestion besides "take it to the dealer" or "take it to a certified tech," DON'T POST AT ALL.
Old October 29th, 2013, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

Default 1989 Silvervrado four wheel drive not engaging....help

Hello,

I own a 1989 3/4 ton extened cab 4x4 Silverrado. 4x4 will not engage, no light in console. Replaced the soleinoid/ acuator in transfer case. Didn't do anything. Does anybody have any ideas where I should go next to get my 4 wheel system working again ? Any help would be appreciated.
Old January 9th, 2016, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

Ive been having the Service 4WD message on start up on my 01 Silverado, the push buttons don't light up or do anything. I replaced the push button switch but still had the problem. I took it in for service and they replaced the actuator and that didn't help so they removed it, said i needed a rebuilt or new Transfer case. I didn't replace it. then one day it worked and i told them there must be some corrosion on the wiring, or a corroded connector. They checked that and then said i need a new TCCM transfer case control module. I kept reading about shutting the engine off and restarting it. that didn't work. Then i tried a different routine for starting, I turn the key to the run position and watch the lights on the push buttons and when they settle down, start the engine. I have done that the last dozen times, then when i start the truck. the Service 4WD message stays OFF and the push button Auto 2WD hi low 4WD selector switch works every time. After ignoring all the list of possible cures this WORKED I think a lot of electrical problems come from poor connections and by replacing a $200 whatzit the connections have to be re seated and the component works, dah, and didn't need to be replaced after all. Maybe there is another explanation for why this worked. Id like to hear about it.

Last edited by Glenn Larson; January 9th, 2016 at 4:54 PM. Reason: corrected spelling and wording