Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2006 Silverado Headlight Switch doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2014, 9:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 Silverado Headlight Switch doesn't work

I have a 2006 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0

My headlight switch quit working. Luckily the headlights still work and the high/low beam selector still works. The switch just isn't working so I can't turn my headlights off, or override the dome light, or adjust the brightness of the dash lights.

I was going to just purchase a new switch, but at approximately the same time as the headlight switch went out, I lost power to the plug that is used to read codes. The two are so close together that I figured it must be a common fuse. I have checked every fuse in both the panels and none are blown. If I could figure out which fuse it is, I would just change it and see if that was the issue.

Any ideas? I would really like to be able to turn my headlights off, and now I have a check engine light on and I would like to get it read and find out what the issue is.
Old April 8th, 2014, 9:12 AM
CF Junior Member

look up your specific models wiring system diagram and check all the wires in that area for a loose connection... something could have gotten in there and bumped a few connectors slightly out of place
Old April 8th, 2014, 12:08 PM
CF Monarch

Received 344 Likes on 325 Posts

In most vehicles the plug for the code reader is the same fuse as the cigarette lighter. Check that fuse carefully and make sure that it fits in tightly so that there is a good connection to both legs of the fuse.
Old April 8th, 2014, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
In most vehicles the plug for the code reader is the same fuse as the cigarette lighter. Check that fuse carefully and make sure that it fits in tightly so that there is a good connection to both legs of the fuse.
oldchevy, you are the man!! As I was checking the fuses yesterday, I did find that the cigarette lighter fuse was blown. I will replace that tonight, and hope that the code reader will also work again. Maybe, if I'm really lucky, the same fuse will also power the headlight switch, and I will have solved all three problems at once.
Old April 8th, 2014, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

Replaced the 15amp cig lighter fuse. Now the code reader has power. Code P449. EVAP system. Now that I know what it is, I can get to fixing it.

Headlight switch still doesn't work. I wasn't that lucky.

Thanks for all of your help.