Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2007 silverado 4.8 fuel economy upgrades

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2007, 9:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 silverado 4.8 fuel economy upgrades

With rising gas prices, does anyone know any safe for the vehicle upgrades or tricks to increase my fuel economy. I have just gone from a 2 door four banger into theCrew cabW/T, with the 4.8there has just been a little shock at the pump for me, but have always wanted a chevy and was finally able to afford one. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 8th, 2007, 10:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2007 silverado 4.8 fuel economy upgrades

The only thing I can say. Is keep up your maintenance and keep the proper inflation in your tires and take it easy on your gas pedal. Its a V8 and unless its diesel mods will not change the mileage a whole lot.
Old November 8th, 2007, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

1. Use full synthetic motor oil.
2. Add a Tonneau cover on your bed if you do much highway driving.
3. The way that you drive these trucks plays a HUGE role in the fuel efficiency that you receive. I use a Scangauge to keep tabs on mileage.
4. I have used a Predator hand held tuner to reduce my idle speed a bit, reduce shift delay, etc - which makes a little bit of difference.

Your truck will loosen up a bit after you have driven it a few thousand miles. If you drive the truck conservatively you should be able to match the EPA estimates for gas mileage.

Have fun with your truck.

WR
Old November 9th, 2007, 3:24 AM
CF Junior Member

First off, no matter what kind of motor oil you use, regular oil or synthetic, your gas milage won't change. There has been absolutely no evidence at all that synthetic oil increases gas milage. Some argue that synthetic oil decreases friction on the engine, but it only does so at the initial cold start up. At normal operating temperature the lubrication properties of regular oil and synthetic are roughly the same. Don't listen to these guys that think synthetic oil increases performance and gas milage. They do not know what they are talking about. They use the stuff, and they want to believe it's making a huge difference, when in fact the benefits are extremely minimal.

You could get a Tonneau cover (I have one). But if you've ever seen the show Myth Busters on the discovery channel you would have seen that a tonneau cover doesn't really effect gas milage at all. The best advice I could give you is to just take it easy on the gas pedel, and drive the speed limit. Your gonna get way worse gas milage at 70mph rather than 60mph. And don't buy any gas saving bull crap you see on tv. The EPA has tested over 100 of these gas saving devices, and none of them work. You bought a truck. Nobody buys a truck to get excellent gas milage. And don't worry. In time you'll get used to paying over $80 for tank of gas. But hey, it's a big tank.
Old November 9th, 2007, 9:22 AM
CF Junior Member

What gas milage are you getting now?