Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2007 silverado motor oil

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2008, 6:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2007 silverado motor oil

Hi DMM91,

I also have a 2007 Silverado NBS. I just picked up a 5 gallon tub of Royal Purple 5w30 on eBay for $122, free shipping, which works out to $6.10/qt. I went to the local Pep Boys and they carry RP for $7.49/qt! The claims on RP's website were too good to resist trying. I plan on switching the 'rado over to RP and installing a tonneau cover next weekend. If I notice a difference in performance I'll post here.

Good luck!
Old February 23rd, 2008, 9:06 AM
CF Junior Member

Royal purpleI have heard this is a very good and wise investment if you plan on keeping your truck a long time,Have also heard lucas fuel treatment is a great addition also
Old February 23rd, 2008, 12:52 PM
CF Junior Member

I checked the price for Royal Purple 5w-30 at Schcuks, AKA Parts America and using the cupon code CLOSEOUT at checkout and instore pickup you can buy a quart of RP for $5.09.

Now heres myy take on Syn oil. I wouldnt use it untill I have around 30,000 miles on a new car. From my experience I bought a car years ago with 30,000 on it and thats when I started using Mobil 1. I put 230,000 mile on a 3.0 Aerostar and passed it on to relative who still tell me it runs like a new engine.

By Brother started using Mobil 1 when it was new 03 1500 and has since complained of poor fuel economy, my guess has alway been the engine has now fully broke in and might still be tighter than normal. Regaurdless of what you believe in how long a engine takes to break in 30,000 mile on conventional oil isnt going to hurt anything but your patience. My wifes 2WD just turned over 30,000 and I went to mobile 1 last weekend and she says it seams to be better on MPG so we are still in the tracking phase for that.

On the issue on using 5W or 10W in hot weather I say if your using Syn oil thats one of the benefits you can use 5W year round with all the protection of 10W. I read articles about Syn oil and one mention was that Syn oil can take on more heat than a engine can ever produce.
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:48 AM
CF Beginner

NAPAGold and Carquest's oil filters are made by Wix. One stop shopping at NAPA for RP and a good filter.
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:54 AM
CF Beginner

Also, if you believe you need to wait 'till the motor is fully broken in (say 30,000 miles) before a swap to synthetic, why do Corvettes and other high dollar cars come straight out of the factory filled with Mobil1? Maybe the motors are broken in on a dyno or engine stand prior? Not questioning you, just asking a question.
Old February 24th, 2008, 1:15 AM
CF Senior Member

I use Royal Purple, Im convinced its one of the best out there. I also use their radiator fluid treatment. My opinion is you get what you pay for. Put cheap oil in your engine and look at it when it comes out at 3,000 miles. Put RP in your engine and it will look the same as it went in at 3,000 miles, considering theres no left over conventional oil in your block. Plus its got an added benefit that you dont have to change it near as often. They build a saftey factor into their oil change intervals, so although they say 12,000 miles, you could probably get away with 14 or 15,000 milesconsidering you top it off every now and then. I change mine between 5 and 7,000 depending on how much time I have to do it, just to be on the safe side. GM says you can go 10,000 miles on conventional GM oil for the new body style chevy trucks. Not sure if I would do that either. Another real good brand is Amsoil. They are expensive, like RP, but have all the same benefits. Lots of racecars use Amsoil. My friends dad races cars and thats what him and his buddys use, but even so they change there oil very often. I think Amsoil is a sponsor for this website as a matter of fact.
Old February 24th, 2008, 7:57 AM
Banned

the guy asks a question and Scooper flames him?? Why is that? any way... I'll tell you what I recommend. If you want to use synthetic use Amsoil 5w30, it's extremely good stuff. But if you want to use conventional I would use just plain Valvoline 5w30. There is no reason to frett about this one. but I really do love Amsoil, and for me theres no other option. You can goo way longer on a oil change which is one reason I like it. Amsiol is the bomb IMO. by the way scooper50 are you a dad? If so I'm glad I'm not your kid, if you don't like forums don't log on, you dick.
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:02 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: ShortBedShortFuse

Also, if you believe you need to wait 'till the motor is fully broken in (say 30,000 miles) before a swap to synthetic, why do Corvettes and other high dollar cars come straight out of the factory filled with Mobil1? Maybe the motors are broken in on a dyno or engine stand prior? Not questioning you, just asking a question.

You can find informaion on break in procedures on the net and I found some to say that engine that come from the factory with Syn oil should be drained and filled with petro oil for the first oil change. I think the reason some cars do come with Syn oil is because there are not mass produced in the same speed as other models so the manufacture has time to use more precise honing on the block.

My suggestion of 30,000 is just a idea based on the 2 years I owned my 06 I have only towed something heavy maybe 2-3 times for a distance longer than 100 miles other than that its just a daily driver with a empty bed. Initial engine break in probably is good enough after 1500 miles but I think your getting a better breakin if you have ran your engine under the conditions your truck was designed for before going to Syn oil if that 30,000 miles or much less that would be determained by each particular driver and how he drives it. I just think it unneccessary for the first few years.
Old February 25th, 2008, 2:03 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coppertop- That is a smokin price on RP, do you have a link to that site?
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:13 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: ehhget

Coppertop- That is a smokin price on RP, do you have a link to that site?

www.schucks.com

www.partsamerica.com

They are both the same site, one directs to the other. If you dont have a shucks they will ship and maybe using the promotion code "closeout" will offset for shipping, if they ship oil.

They take $5.00 for instore pickup of $30 or more but I found the promotion code works out to be more of a discount. Oh and I now see they offer free shipping on orders of $50 or more. But I dont know if they will ship oil.

Quick Reply: 2007 silverado motor oil