Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2010 Sierra USB problems

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2010, 6:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally had a chance to take the Sierra to the dealer for the update. There's good news and bad news.

The good news - The update mostly fixes the popping noise. I can plug the iPhone in and play songs or podcasts, skip from one song to the next all without hearing the popping. So far I've gone as long as an hour without having to disconnect the device due to popping and this was only because I was getting out of the truck. It may be just my imagination but I actually think the sound quality is better too.

The bad news - The popping can be made to happen. If you're listening to a song and hit the FF button for a few seconds the popping starts again and the only way to stop it is to reconnect the device. This also brings up another problem. If during the popping noise you switch over to a podcast (and I can't say for certain if it's just podcast) it will not play. Nothing, no audio at all. The information about the podcast shows on the screen, you can switch from podcast to music but no audio at all from either until you reconnect the device.

Part two of the bad - The charging may or may not work. This issue does not seem to be resolved at all. The first day after the update I could get about 10 minutes worth of charging but then the iPhone would throw up the "Device not supported" message and charging would stop. Also, seems that the first time you plug the device in after it's been restarted the radio will not connect. You have to pull the cable and reconnect. Most times now it will charge for about a minute and quit.

Part three of the bad news - During playback, be it music or podcast, at any given time (I haven't been able to see a pattern yet) the audio from the iPhone drops out, not all the way, just a quieting down for a split second. It's hard to describe but I guess I would say it sounds as if the signal weakens for just a moment and then goes back to normal.

Part four of the bad - Pressing the FF button a few seconds or a few times during the playback of a podcast causes the above symptom of the audio stopping completely.

Am I happy? Somewhat. I no longer have to constantly disconnect the device to stop the popping. Could I live with it with the other problems? Possibly. I very seldom use the FF key so I probably wouldn't have a problem with the popping. Is charging an issue? For me, not really. I usually am in the truck no more than an hour at a time. For me the update is bitter sweet or one step forward and two back.

I've sent an email to the service manager who's forwarded it to engineering so now we wait but at least I don't have to keep reconnecting it to stop the popping. Currently I'm supposedly the only one who's received the update which was done using a USB flash drive in the USB port in the console. Engineering has yet to release this to the general public and I would hope that after reading my email they will go back and have another look before putting it out there so for the moment I'd recommend holding tight. As soon as I hear something I'll be back with the details.

Last edited by robsieb; April 22nd, 2010 at 8:58 PM.
Old May 14th, 2010, 9:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default What model phone?

I have a 2010 Silverado with the AM/FM/Cd player that also has a USB port for connecting. I have the Iphone 3g model that is 16Gb with the latest firmware on the phone. I have no issues at all running the system.

What is your phone model and software versions? During all of this, have you tried to reset your phone. It may not be the trucks problem alone.

I can confirm that the Droid Eris doesn't connect unless using the audio cable and AUX input.
Old May 16th, 2010, 1:31 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by itzrobb
I seem to be having the same option, but maybe I'm not hooking it up right.

Bought a 2010 Tahoe with the USB port in the console. Took my iPod Touch out, used the standard cable and plugged it into the port and turned it on. On the radio (it's the nav touch screen radio) I selected the AUX tab an within that tab there is an option for USB, but it won't let me press on it. It's what I guess you would call grayed out. Do you have to do something special to make it recognize the iPod?
I am having the same problem.
Everthing was working fine, noticed the
popping and then no more music. Unit itouch
charges no music unless I use the front aux
jack. Rear aux mode choice is lit though
tried two itouches and 3 cables.
Old May 16th, 2010, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

GM has a TSB on this problem
popping, no audio ect
ask your dealer for it
Old May 17th, 2010, 9:38 PM
CF Senior Member

I rebooted my itouch a few times and it
worked. No issues since
Old June 10th, 2010, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default ipod touch and usb on 2010AvalancheLTZ

Hello every one! new to the site and I thought I was alone with my ipod touch 3rd generation and usb problem. I had a new silverado hybrid and the ipod played just fine( radio w\nav\cd\xm, no dvd) did hear a slight clipping noise on some songs, thought it was the recording of the song.

2 months later traded in silverado for new Avalanche LTZ. Radio w\dvd,nav, cd,xm. Plays ipod touch fine every thing works for about 5 or 10 minutes and then it just stops playing, no message's or anything.

I can unplug the usb and plug it back and it plays for 5 or 10 mins. then stops. So glad to see it's not just me, glad I found this post! Sucks to have the porblem on a very expensive truck, hope every one get's the problem resolved. Thanks for all the great info on the situation.

How do you reboot the ipod? I'm old not very tech savy.

Last edited by Avalanche LTZ 2010; June 10th, 2010 at 9:25 PM.
Old August 28th, 2010, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default More IPHONE problems

Here's another interesting story. A week ago I bought a 2010 Sierra 2500HD with single CD player. Hooked my iphone 3Gs with 4.02 software up to that vehicle and it worked great! everything. charging, playing etc. Well, because of some paint issues I took the vehicle back and they replaced it with an identical vehicle. Only difference, it didn't have roof markers and it had the 6 disc CD player instead of single. Well, now the IPHONE does not work at all. System won't recognize it. I can hook up my daughters Ipod Touch and that works great. Tried resetting phone. Tried my wife's Iphone which is the same as mine, and still no luck. Also, first truck was manufactured in 3/10 and second was 4/10, if that matters. Now what?
Old September 8th, 2010, 8:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Latest update!!! I have is that after updating my 3GS to iOS 4.1 I now get about 30 seconds of playback before it stops. Track info still shows on the head unit, the iPhone shows the play > arrow but no sound. I've never been so frustrated with a device and vehicle in my entire life. Looking to downgrade to iOS 4.0.2 and see what happens. I also sent an email to my service manager asking if GM had any later firmware updates than the original one I received. &$*&^*(*&^&
Old September 19th, 2010, 11:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default USB problems,

Originally Posted by robsieb
Latest update!!! I have is that after updating my 3GS to iOS 4.1 I now get about 30 seconds of playback before it stops. Track info still shows on the head unit, the iPhone shows the play > arrow but no sound. I've never been so frustrated with a device and vehicle in my entire life. Looking to downgrade to iOS 4.0.2 and see what happens. I also sent an email to my service manager asking if GM had any later firmware updates than the original one I received. &$*&^*(*&^&
Well, I guess now I know I'm not alone. We bought our new 2010 Z71 Avalanche 2 weeks ago and have had Ipod issues with it since day 1. I have a 3rd gen 64gb Ipod Touch and it does exactly what yours does. It works for a few minutes and then the audio just stops. I have to unplug it from the USB and then plug it back in. Sometimes it'll work for 10 to 15 minutes more, and sometimes less. Pressing the FF key or song select key does have an effect on how long the audio actually plays.

I have used 4.0.1 software, 4.1, and now I have complete replacement 64gb Ipod Touch courtesy of Apple with the 3.1.3 software.

Going back to software level 3.1.3 will NOT help. It does exactly the same thing. I wish I would've seen these posts before I drove to the Apple store to change out the Ipod. Oh well, it was under warranty.

Does anyone know if GM actually is working on a fix for this issue? It sucks paying this much for a vehicle and then not being able to use the darn USB interface.
Old September 20th, 2010, 9:07 AM
CF Beginner

I gave up on the Iphone and went to a Droid X. I like it better than the iphone anyway and it works with the audio cable input. Sure, I can't control it with the radio in My 2010 Z71 Siverado, but after all the updates with Apple and my Iphone, it didn't matter anyway and I am not going fight with it anymore, nor am I going to allow my phone to not be updated for security reasons.

Quick Reply: 2010 Sierra USB problems