Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 27th, 2015, 3:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & Four Wheel Drive Guides
Print Wikipost

2014 Silverado Rear End Noise

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2014, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Silverado Rear End Noise

I have a 2014 Silverado Z71 that had to have a new rear end installed right after I purchased the vehicle. It was not built correctly built from the factory and now every time I put the truck in gear either forward or reverse it makes a ticking noise when it first starts moving. I have taking the vehicle to two different dealers and they both hear the noise but do not know what to do about it. One of the dealers told me it was normal for this vehicle.
Wondering if anybody else has this issue? I'm just about ready to trade the in for something else.

Brian
Old October 8th, 2014, 12:27 AM
CF Junior Member

if its under warranty fight with them. if you think its been rebuilt wrong, call them out! normal? haha. no. ive been told the howl my 4WD drive makes on my 03 silverado is normal but its not... none of the other ones ive driven do it..

its a year old. you shouldnt have a single issue unless you beat the heck out of it. if the dealerships tell you to go to ****, take it to a mechanic and have them take it apart and check it out.
Old October 8th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by brianhowell72@gmail.com
I have a 2014 Silverado Z71 that had to have a new rear end installed right after I purchased the vehicle. It was not built correctly built from the factory and now every time I put the truck in gear either forward or reverse it makes a ticking noise when it first starts moving. I have taking the vehicle to two different dealers and they both hear the noise but do not know what to do about it. One of the dealers told me it was normal for this vehicle.
Wondering if anybody else has this issue? I'm just about ready to trade the in for something else.

Brian
Hi Brian,

Although we cannot verify whether or not your ticking noise is normal, we can reach out to your dealership to ensure they've taken the proper steps to ensure whether or not your vehicle is operating as designed. We recognize this can be frustrating and we want to apologize for the inconvenience. Please send us your VIN and contact information if there's anything we can do to help. We're just a private message away.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 14th, 2014, 3:02 PM
CF Beginner

I can understand your frustration, I also had problems with the rear end on my 2014 GMC Crew Cab 1500 SLT 4WD. An issue with the rear end left me stranded in Arkansas; I live in California and was on vacation confident I wouldn't have any problems with my 3 month old truck with only 6k miles on it, but I was shocked when after taking the vehicle to the closest dealership that I would have to wait 5 weeks to get a new rear end for my 2014 GMC, never mind that they expected me to stay in Arkansas; refusing to ship the vehicle to my residence in California. You can't help but love the quality of GM's products and service.
Old October 14th, 2014, 4:43 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by bigbb
I can understand your frustration, I also had problems with the rear end on my 2014 GMC Crew Cab 1500 SLT 4WD. An issue with the rear end left me stranded in Arkansas; I live in California and was on vacation confident I wouldn't have any problems with my 3 month old truck with only 6k miles on it, but I was shocked when after taking the vehicle to the closest dealership that I would have to wait 5 weeks to get a new rear end for my 2014 GMC, never mind that they expected me to stay in Arkansas; refusing to ship the vehicle to my residence in California. You can't help but love the quality of GM's products and service.
Hey bigbb,

We saw your post about your new GMC 1500 on another thread as well-- we're truly sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. If there's anything we can do to help please do not hesitate to contact us via private message.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 15th, 2014, 9:58 PM
CF Beginner

sometimes i wonder about the rebuilding process. ive seen many things as a technician. but a few years back i worked at a ford dealer and my service manager drove a 2010 chevy tahoe with a private(our dealer) extended warranty i test drove his truck after doing a simple front end brake job. heard a slight howl and mentioned it to him. with him being the service manager he approved the rear end warranty and we ordered a remaned unit. well lets just say it went from slight howl to annoyingly obvious howl. lol well sent out for another reman unit and again bad again. finally said screw it and ordered the bearings carrier and axles and pinion and rebuilt it myself and what do you know it fixed it. seems like they some of them dont care or rush the job. anyways gm reman burned me for like two or three days.
Old October 15th, 2014, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by brianhowell72@gmail.com

Brian
cant say for sure but sounds like a slight issue with the spider gears in the rear end or a possible clutch chatter. if you have a limited slip diff.
if you do turn all the way in one direction and move forward slowly while turning do you feel a wheel shuddeing slightly?
Old December 31st, 2014, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

I too have a 2014 Chevy Silverado. Purchased new Dec 4th 2014. There was no noise until the truck reached 1400 miles. Now the rear end sounds like it is going to come apart when slowing down. Rattling and chattering. I have a appointment Jan 2nd at the Dealer. This is not normal I feel. It as also already been to the dealer due to a vibration at 70mph and above, Starting to wonder if I made the correct decision in purchasing the truck? 27 days going to repair twice.
Old December 31st, 2014, 9:44 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by volume1962
I too have a 2014 Chevy Silverado. Purchased new Dec 4th 2014. There was no noise until the truck reached 1400 miles. Now the rear end sounds like it is going to come apart when slowing down. Rattling and chattering. I have a appointment Jan 2nd at the Dealer. This is not normal I feel. It as also already been to the dealer due to a vibration at 70mph and above, Starting to wonder if I made the correct decision in purchasing the truck? 27 days going to repair twice.
Hey there,

Very sorry for this! We are pleased to hear that you will be heading into the dealership after the New Year, and please do let us know if you need any additional assistance with this. We look forward to your updates on Friday!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 12th, 2015, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2014 with rearend noise,as well. It hums between 55 and 60, and 80 and 85. The hum stops if you take your foot off the gas, but, starts again when you give it gas. It also makes a clunking noise when rolling/idling at slow speed. I took it to the dealer before Christmas and they told me that it was normal. I said BS. They drove the truck and told me they were going to order parts to see if they could fix it. It is in the shop now.

Quick Reply: 2014 Silverado Rear End Noise