Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

4.8 vortec very sluggish at times

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2009, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8 vortec very sluggish at times

Hello,

I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 with the 4.8L Vortec and at times, hot or cold, the engine is ultra sluggish off the line. I don't beat the truck at all, it's just like throttle body isn't opening and I'm trying to push through a brick wall or something. 95% of the time, the truck runs great and makes decent power for it's size. I was told to remove the airbox and clean the throttle body with carb cleaner and I did that with no results. Possibly something in the computer communication with the throttle body?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Fred
Old November 8th, 2009, 4:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey fast freddie,

Welcome the Chevy Forums.

This won't cost ya nothin'. Pull the air cleaner box, air filter and all. The next thing you run into is a plate with holes, called a MAF sensor. Clean both sides. Reassemble. (I'm assuming, of course, you've already changed your air and gas filters...)
Old November 9th, 2009, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

Awesome! I'll give that a try. Thanks much! Also, what is an affordable way to make a little more power with those engines?? I heard that a throttle body spacer helps along with an aftermarket airbox and some exhaust. Looking to keep the mods around $500. Thanks again,

Fred
Old November 10th, 2009, 3:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

For about 250$, you can install a cold air intake. It just gives your engine more cold air faster. This in turn allows your engine to rev faster, and Viola! More power on demand at a reasonable cost.

I like my K&N CAI, it works well, and parts are very available. There's others that are also good, too.

Replace that transmission filter recently? It's a 35K mile interval service which gets ignored by many. A new filter will not only keep your transmission in good shape, but will also restore a bit of lost power, at a paltry 50$, Transmission fluid included. If you're not sure, you can generally assume this maintenance wasn't done.
Old November 11th, 2009, 9:02 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by fast freddie
Awesome! I'll give that a try. Thanks much! Also, what is an affordable way to make a little more power with those engines?? I heard that a throttle body spacer helps along with an aftermarket airbox and some exhaust. Looking to keep the mods around $500. Thanks again,

Fred
the best bang for the buck will always be a custom tune. look into blackbear performance.

TBS will do nothing for a 96+ chevy truck.

i like my K&N intake but i got it off ebay. the box isnt really the restriction but the tube is, you can look online and get an airraid jr tube (i think thats the one) for arounc $100.

good luck
Old November 11th, 2009, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for the suggestions!
Old July 1st, 2022, 10:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by fast freddie
Hello,

I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 with the 4.8L Vortec and at times, hot or cold, the engine is ultra sluggish off the line. I don't beat the truck at all, it's just like throttle body isn't opening and I'm trying to push through a brick wall or something. 95% of the time, the truck runs great and makes decent power for it's size. I was told to remove the airbox and clean the throttle body with carb cleaner and I did that with no results. Possibly something in the computer communication with the throttle body?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Fred
4.8 have the longest connecting rods that I know of 6.275" in a small block v8 and I think it helps maintain some low end torque but hp comes with revs and the 4.8 lives to rev it is suited to handle it well I always tell the wife don't be afraid to let it rev up to 4 5k rpm it's where it performs best. You'll never hurt it doing that I've seen several examples of ls Chevy engines taking nitrous and turbos and without upgrades. The are very well designed. When in doubt wind it out!!! lol peace