Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

75' chevy truck help

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2007, 1:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 75' chevy truck help

I have a 75' Chevy pickup truck and I need to do alot of work to it to get it to be like new in a way. I need help and advice but I know close to nothing about cars so if you say I need something please explain what it is so I can learn. First i would like to get a/c, heater, and defroster(i do not have any parts to this). What do I need? and what kind of cost am i looking at if i get it from a bone yard? Next i would like to fix my gauges. the only one that works is my speedometer but only when it is hot.... it sticks when it is cold. How do i fix this? and how do i fix my other gauges on the dash? next my steering is really stiff if i have no speed (when i have speed its fine) i was told i need a new power steering pump(how much does this cost). i think thats mroe then enough for now. so please help the best you can. if you have any questions i will answer to the best of my ability. and please do not make fun of me lol i dont know anything. well thanks
Old October 18th, 2007, 7:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 75' chevy truck help

Hey how is ig going. before you plunk money down on a new power steering pump try this. exchange fluid in it. and give a good 15 second spray of wd40 in there with the fluid. That has saved more than a few power sterring pumps for me, friends and family. never had a problem. a old ford aerostar I had completly lost its power steering, I did that and it came back and worked like a charm. Let me know how it works. tackle that then we can look at other stuff.
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:20 PM
CF Active Member

flatxland

the truck should have a heater core under the and behind the dash on the passenger side.

if the fan blower does not work, the heat will not move.

Old October 18th, 2007, 11:24 PM
CF Junior Member

a lot of these things could be wired with toggle switches if not looking or caring for the original look.
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:25 AM
CF Beginner

awsome man thanks im going to try that as soon as i have the time so probably saterday and as soon as i do ill tell you
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Please do. get some pics of the truck also and as you encounter a prob take then and post them. gives us a visual and more suggestions.
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:34 AM
CF Beginner

oh i forgot to mention one thing about my steering. it might be a clue to whats wrong. one day two people sandwiched me in with my horrible steering so my dad held the breaks and gas at the same time and steered outa the tight spot and next time i drove it the steering was perfect then a month later bak to being horrible
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Do the WD40. I am sure that will cure it. get as much dirty fluid out as you can and then replace and add wd.
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:48 AM
CF Beginner

if that doesnt work you could try replacing the steering box. i had stiff stearing on mine and i replaced the steering box and now it is as light as a feather.
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:54 AM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: finny

if that doesnt work you could try replacing the steering box. i had stiff stearing on mine and i replaced the steering box and now it is as light as a feather.
In my old 1990 toyota I actually rebuilt the steering box. kit was less then 20 bucks. uhh that is usd **looks at finny**

Quick Reply: 75' chevy truck help