Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

95 silverado stop lamp switch

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2011, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 silverado stop lamp switch

How do you change the stop lamp switch on a 95 Silverado. My brake lights stopped working & if I jump it out at the relay they work. I'm hoping it’s the switch, already bought it. Looks like it’s in a hard spot. Looking for ideas from past people that had experience.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Old January 21st, 2011, 8:13 PM
CF Veteran

Default switch

havent done one that new but they can be a b###ch found a decent article looking around .
The brake light switch is located on the brake pedal. Before you replace this switch rule out all other electrical components. The switch is inexpensive but it's a hassle to replace.
First get the switch and there is a retainer clip that you must have, because as you remove the old one you most likely will destroy it, trying to get it off. Is is best to get the parts from a Chevrolet dealer, I believe the clip is a "dealer" only part.
You have to disconnect the brake booster from the brake pedal to have access to the switch. Once you have that "pry" off the retainer clip (if you can get it off without detroying it, reuse it) otherwise you will need to ue the new one. Once that clip is off the switch should "slide" off of the brake pedal easily. Don't yank it because you still need to remove the electrcal connection.
To install the new one just reverse the process.

---

The retaining clip is the most difficult part of this job. The clip is a round spinning clip that slides onto the shaft of the brake pedal stem. You need to get a small screwdriver and work at finding the round part where there is a gap. you need to pry this gap apart until you can get something else behind it. Re-installing is quite difficult as you need to get your arm around the entire brake light switch. This will be a difficult job and may take several hours just to pry the clip. The dealer only stocks this clip, the autozones, etc do not have it. Be careful not to destroy the brake light switch as I did ($10.00). If you are lucky and have a small air ratchet you can take the 4 bolts to the firewall off in a few minutes. Once you have the clip off, this is a quick job. I would estimate this to be a full hour job w/o the clip issue at best. With the clip it turned into a 4-5 hour job for me. I should note that this was done in my situation to fix a broken power booster pump. Also, you should not have to bleed the brakes after this as long as you leave the master cylinder alone.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...#ixzz1Bj8KiMUz
Old January 29th, 2011, 9:37 PM
CF Beginner

All done! It was the switch. A contact inside broke. Took my time and the whole process for changing the switch was less than 1 hour. The only tools I used was a long regular screwdriver and a flashlight. You will need to replace the holddown clip ($1.41) because it breaks / bends on removal.