Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

96 silverado 5.0 engine swap questions/problems

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2009, 2:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 silverado 5.0 engine swap questions/problems

Ok guys this is my first post other than my hello post, anyway i have a 96 silverado with a vortec 5.0, this may have been beaten into the ground already so sorry in advance if its redundant for you guys. I was looking around at some engines and came across gmperformanceparts.com, I found a sb 350 that I really like its a turn key crate motor. The thing is i dont know what all will be involved with a swap like this such as the 700r4 trans. that I have. I know it will bolt up but could you guys tell me some general problems I might run into on a project like this? Sorry for the long post just didnt want to leave anything out.
Old April 28th, 2009, 5:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

acutally i did the exact same thing to my 95 everything bolted up computer was compattible everything is the exact same the only thing i changed was my chip to a performance hypertech 350 chip you should have no problem at all!!!
Old April 28th, 2009, 6:44 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There maybe a little more, I would recommend using the computer at of the 350. For some reason Suzuki-guy's truck does not run correctly
Old April 28th, 2009, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

usually you have to have a ECU compatable with your engine. your new motor may not be compatable resulting in sensor problems and performance problems. if you do get a new engine make sure you get your ECU tuned to the right specs for your new engine. also there may be a few re routing projects with your hoses and wires and what not but other than that you should be good. have fun with that 350!
Old April 28th, 2009, 9:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My engine ran fine for 150,000 miles with 305 computer, 350 performance chip. I had it reflashed and tuned at the dealer no problem my engine ran fine its just now having problems 4 years later
Old April 29th, 2009, 2:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I guess I left one major detail out about the engine Im looking at, well its uhm carburated so yea, I dont know how the whole computerized 700r4 tranny with a non computer controlled engine will work out. I know about needing a new bypass style fuel regulator and a bracket for the kickdown cable but im more worried about the transmission since it has a computer controlled O/D and uses the computer also to lock the T/C in O/D. The other thing I was looking at was maybe just tearing down the top end getting the heads reworked and putting a crane comp cam in it and new injectors. But the issue with that is using a 350 cam in a 305. Guess I could just call summit and ask them about that issue but does anyone else think it would be worth it? I mean a fresh motor is good and all but I just want a little bit more out of it. Its my DD by the way.