Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

96' Silverado Fuel Problems-Have to feather gas to accelarte

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2011, 9:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 96' Silverado Fuel Problems-Have to feather gas to accelarte

Hello all,
My 96" silverado is having some fuel issues and I can't figure it out. The truck will idle but when you give it to much gas it cuts out and will die if I don't let off. So it can be driven but the gas has to be feathered gently. (actually my son drives it nearly everyday to work) So I'm trying to figure out the problem.

Below is background on the work I've done so far.

My fuel pump went out around 2 months ago. I got a tow home and replaced the pump and sock (but not filter) new pump from orielly's. Everything went in pretty smooth and the truck ran great for a week or so, then crapped out again. I was able to get into a parking lot at a jiffy lube. I bought a new filter from Jiffy Lube and changed it out in the parking lot thinking dummy me didn't change it and it was clogged. The fuel coming from the old filter was black and beyond disgusting. I got the new filter in The truck started and seemed to be running so I drove around the parking lot then it eventually died and wouldn't run. So I went back and swapped out the pump as defective and replaced again. While I was there I showed a part to parts guy that he didn't know what it was that came off the pump. The Fuel Pump Pulsator he said the dont sell them and they dont come with the new fuel assembly and it was cracked so he said toss it and go with out. (So I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the problem.) Anyways new pump and sock in, truck runs fine for another week maybe. (son was driving and knew there was a problem but didn't tell me so I'm not sure how long it was) But now to much gas and it cuts out. I replaced the filter again just in case after the cutout was noticed.

One other thing I can think of to mention is my son tried to jump start a co-worker and arc'ed the cable bad. I can see where it melted into the post and wires. Not sure if there could be a connection with the problem.

Thank you in advance for your time and efforts with my problem. Hope the post wasn't to long winded but helpful.

Yancy
Old May 12th, 2015, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default I am having the same problem

Did u ever find out what was going on with your truck bc mine is doing the same thing
Old May 12th, 2015, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Fuel Pump.

I ended up junking the Oreillys pump and how to go OEM. No problems since then. (With the fuel anyways. LOL)

Good luck!!

Last edited by yancmo; May 12th, 2015 at 9:05 PM.
Old May 12th, 2015, 9:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info I have put 2 fuel pumps in in 5 months and they were from auto zone so i guess that's what the problem is we have been buying junk Thanks again