Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

97 Z71 starts everytime stalls while driving

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2012, 9:46 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems to fit your problems except your not throwing a CEL but my truck has had all sorts of problems and i have never gotten one so maybe 97's suck for letting you know when they arent running right
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:18 PM
CF Beginner

I just put timing light to it and mark seems to jump bit. So I guess the chain has a little slop to it as you mentioned. I know I should probably tear the whole thing down and put a new chain. But I think I will try your method first and see what that does. I have replaced so much it's hard to keep going but I love my truck.
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:28 PM
CF Active Member

Timing chains go bad they are a pain but id replace it if the timing doesnt help your truck will go for a long time and you already replaced everything else haha. and i beleive that 97 was the year for the old bodystyle we gotta get these in the record books haha
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:33 PM
CF Beginner

My scanner doesn't have the ability to read the cam retard. So I guess i'm going the chain route. Now with a new chain and gears will it bring my timing back online or do I still have to do the whole cam retard set process.
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:46 PM
CF Beginner

I have always owned Chevy's and have done timing chains before but in the past they were a lot easier to do on older vehicles. I heard you need a special puller just to take the fan and clutch off. Here are a few of the cars I had in the past 70 Monte Carlo, 72 Chevelle SS Conv., 76 Camaro , 94 GMC Sierra I have my 97 Silverado Z71 9 yrs. now with 197K on her I just replaced the lower skin on the third door yesterday. They salt the roads pretty bad here in New England in the winter. 2 yrs ago salt rotted dif. cover fluid leaked out and blew the rear end, rotted the gas lines and pump assembly lines on top of the tank. Even my front brake pads!
Old March 18th, 2012, 10:11 PM
CF Beginner

Problem solved finally! After all the replacement parts camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, ignition control module, fuel pump, fuel relay, air cleaner, new ground straps from engine to frame, pump to frame, ign. coil, plugs, cap, rotor,wires, coolant sensor. It all came down to the fuel filter. I did not suspect this due to replacement about 6 mos. ago when I replaced the first pump(aftermarket). This second pump I put in 2 weeks ago was a Delphi, I recommend after all the research I did with Chevy's having fuel pump problems do not skimp on an aftermarket pump.
My conclusion for the stalling was a combination of poor ground wires, aftermarket pump, arcing plug wires, fuel filter that did not allow enough pressure at higher speeds. Another trick that helped me discover the bad plug wires was to wait until dark, pop the hood, start the engine and then observe. This allowed me to easily see the sparks from the arcing wires. It was strange because even with bad wires my truck never ran rough, had lack of power or misfired.
What gave me a final clue to cracking the problem was hook up a fuel pressure gauge on the the fuel rail, tape it to the windshield and observe the fuel pressure during a stall while driving. As the truck stalled the pressure dropped right down. This helped me eliminate the VCM. Also I pinched the return line to the tank and the fuel pressure did not spike. This test eliminated bad fuel pressure regulator.
So the last thing I suspected was another bad pump, but before dropping the tank and ripping the pump out for the third time, I decided just for the heck of it I would change the fuel filter again since I had a new one handy. If you remember earlier I replaced that only 6 mos. and not many miles ago. After installation I fired it up went for a ride for several hours with no stalling. Woo Hoo! After having these problems I now have a good understanding on how my 97 5.7L operates. All the components from the ignition system to the fuel system and all the sensors that are controlled by the VCM (computer). Every part is vital to running properly. I appreciate all the suggestions from everyone. Hopefully this information will help someone else with stalling problems and things to check.
Old March 19th, 2012, 7:13 PM
CF Veteran

thought you said you had driven it with the gauge hooked up before?? anyway glad it turned out
Old March 20th, 2012, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

I did drive it with the gauge on before but not in a position where I could see it when it stalled. I did not think it would reach windshield.
Old March 21st, 2012, 4:20 PM
CF Active Member

good trouble shooting im glad you figured it out
Old June 18th, 2015, 1:40 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Kahuna6719
Man I would have thought being a Chevy forum with so many viewers at least one person would have responded. Damnnnnn
If you havent figured it out yet if your truck has over 100 thou on it your crank shaft sensor is supposed to have shims behind it it to 4 diff shops to figure mine out when it was doing the same thing you have said hope that helps i was ready to set my truck on fire

Quick Reply: 97 Z71 starts everytime stalls while driving