Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

98 Silverado weird shudder and burning smell

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2012, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread
Old March 9th, 2012, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

I think I'm going to have to end up taking it into a shop, I simply don't have the know how to fix it, and am worried I'll end up breaking more things than I fix. Have them look closer at the fuel system and see if they can fix it.
Old March 28th, 2012, 3:35 PM
CF Beginner

Update: Have NOT taken this to a shop, as I have to pay tuition and I am desperately poor. So. I have replaced fuel pump, and fuel filter as I was getting seriously fast drops in psi, it ran a little better, but still stumbled/missed horrendously. Then I replaced spark plug wires, and it did not get any better (assuming I have them all hooked on well enough at any rate). I finally tracked down a code reader and I'm getting codes:
P0300-multiple misfire
P0147-o2 heater circuit, bank1 sensor 3

At this point, what do I do? Is it a coil? (i don't even know what this is), o2 sensor causing this multiple misfire and horrendous stuttering/missing? Bad fuel injector? I find it hard to believe I would have multiple fuel injectors go out overnight, what would cause this? As always, any help is appreciated, but I need to get this fixed, truck is completely undriveable in its current condition.
Old March 28th, 2012, 8:09 PM
CF Senior Member

It could be a leaking fuel pressure regulator since your system is not holding pressure its located on the spider injector assy the P0147 code is probably just a bad heater in the O2 sensor
Old April 17th, 2012, 10:06 PM
CF Beginner

Well, after replacing the fuel pump, fuel filter, checking and cleaning all my spark plugs, replacing the spark plug wires, and putting on a new distributor cap and rotor, I've got my baby up and running again. Diagnosis, faulty distributor cap and rotor, can't believe I didn't start there. The sudden onset of multiple misfire's should have been a giveaway. But, I learned a lot. Now it's on to fixing the wiring to the tail lights/turn signals that seem to have conked out on me. Always something. Plus replacing the thermostat on SWMBO's ford explorer now that my truck is up and running. Thanks for all the input though, CASE CLOSED.
Old April 19th, 2012, 9:55 AM
CF Junior Member

I say that there's something wrong with your brakes. Maybe the brakes are sticking to the pads, check your brakes. It's most likely the problem.
Old April 21st, 2012, 3:12 PM
CF Beginner

Dude...already fixed it, it was the distributor cap and the rotor. If there's one thing I DO know about vehicles, it's brakes. It is DEFINITELY not the brakes here, brakes don't give you a rough idle . No offense, but next time maybe you should read the thread.