Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

99 Silverado died, won't start

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2014, 5:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Silverado died, won't start

This post may be kind of long but I'm trying to be as thorough as possible. I have been looking to replace my beater s10 with a full size. Last Sunday i find a 99 Silverado Ext cab Z71, 5.3, auto trans. It just turned over 200k, needs rocker panels, cracked windshield. He was asking 2500.00

I go to look at it and other than the rockers and windshield it looks perfect. Not a scratch or dent anywhere, interior looked brand new, it fired right up and ran like a brand new one. Took it for a drive and other than tires needing balanced it drove great. The fuel gauge didn't move up off E until you started driving. I talked him down to 2200 and drove off in my new truck.

After driving on the interstate for about 45 miles, i notice the oil pressure gauge jumping around erratically. I'm thinking it has some instrument cluster issues because of the fuel gauge. Then about 10 minutes later the oil pressure gauge drops to zero and the warning light comes on. I immediately pull over and shut the truck off. I check the oil level and its good, slightly too much actually. The engine is not hot, there was no noise, it had been running perfect. I restart it and it has pressure so i resume going home. Only have about 20 miles left.

When i turn off the interstate it drops pressure again. I decide to keep driving while keeping a close eye on the temp and a close ear on the motor. It continues to run great for about 4 or 5 more miles. The temp has never got above 190 or so and there wasn't so much as a tick from the motor. I make a right turn and the truck died. I try to restart and it turns over really slow about 3 revs, like the battery was dead. I call the wife to come get me and i go home, get the battery off my s10, which is a bigger battery than is on the Z71. I swap the batteries, try to start it and nothing. It will not turn over at all. I'm thinking the engine seized up.

I go get my dad's truck and car dolly and tow my new truck home. Once home, I charge the battery overnight to be sure it has a good charge. While trying to start it the starter engages and tries to spin the motor but it won't. I marked the belt, cycled the key 4 or 5 times and the mark had moved several inches. Engine not seized. All dash lights come on properly but go out, and headlights dim, while trying to start.

Any suggestions?
Old July 3rd, 2014, 6:58 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing I'd do is pull the belt to make darned sure the compressor isn't locking 'er up.

If it still won't crank, I'd be for checking the engine given the oil pressure "thing".

Doesn't sound good, that's for sure.

Allan