Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

cavalier died on road won't start

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2009, 9:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cavalier died on road won't start

My daugter was driving her cav and it started to chug and stopped. I pulled it home and i checked the fuel it has fuel. I checked the fuel pump and it buzzes when i turn the key on. I checked the spark at the plug wires it has spark. I smell gas when i took the air filter out. The engine turns over but won't start or even pop. I am stumped. any Ideas.
Old August 17th, 2009, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

did she just purchase fuel before the chugging started...water in gas and or clogged fuel filter? was it raining like a down pour..wet wires?

Last edited by moto; August 17th, 2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old August 18th, 2009, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

Hi moto
yes she just bought fuel. I am in the process of changing the fuel filter but I broke the plastic releas clip on the fuel line and also kinked the fuel line. I think I am going to have to drop the tank and replace the line. Any ideas.
Old August 18th, 2009, 8:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

She did'tn put diesel in it did she?
Old August 19th, 2009, 6:08 AM
CF Beginner

I don't think so, Im smelling gasoline. But i know my daughter and that could have happen Thanks suzuki guy
Old August 19th, 2009, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

you get a new release clip with your new fuel filter. if you kinked the hard metal line they do sell inline splice at advanced or auto zone. had to do that with my daughters line. no way could i get that left side unscrewed, dont think it had ever been done before. i was able to do it without dropping the tank. would have been easier without the tank! i couldnt believe the black sludge that came out. by the way its been a while since i have bought diesel, isnt that nozzle bigger than the hole in a regular gas car? i will have to look next time i buy gas. let us know about the gas line.
Old August 19th, 2009, 12:05 PM
CF Beginner

moto
I got a splice for the fuel line but i have not put it on yet it is raining and the car is outside. I have checked and there is not diesel in the tank. whew i didn't want to mess with that. Once I get the fuel filter changed I hope that is my problem if not back to the darwing board.
Old August 19th, 2009, 8:21 PM
CF Beginner

throw some gas dry in the tank, it removes water that maybe in the system from either condensation from the tank not being full and this humidity. i have never known a teenager to keep above a quarter of a tank anyways. or from a purchase of gas with water from the station. best to get the cheap things out of the way first.
Old August 26th, 2009, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default cavalier died

when you get the fuel filter back together and if it does not start get someone to crank the engine while someone hits the gas tank with a rubber mallet at the same time if it starts it,s the pump just because there is a buzz when you first turn the key does not mean that the pump is working while cranking and check for injecter pulse at the injecters chek the injecter fuse, relay