Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ABS breaking

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2009, 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS breaking

At times, always at slow speeds under 10mph my truck's abs breaking kicks in. It doesn't happen all the time but is happening more often as time goes by. When it ist occured I thought I was breaking over wet leaves but nope it does it on dry pavement.........Any thoughts? The peddle seems a bit low, do you guys think bleading the breake lines would help? .................Thanks, Ed
2002 C1500 5.3L extended short box
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:19 PM
CF Junior Member

You have a sensor that is "bad". Bleeding won't help at all. Here is what may help seeing as how you live in the rust belt. Pull the front calipers and rotors to access the ABS sensors. They are retained by a socket head screw. You will need a metric allen wrench to remove the screws. Once you get the screw out, GENTLY remove the sensor. It may come apart leaving a plastic sleeve in the hub assembly. If that happens be very carefull not to damage the copper windings on the sensor coil. Move the sensor out of harms way and file the mounting surface to remove the rust and scale that will be there. Replace the sensors rotors calipers and you probably will be good to go. What happens is that the rust lifts the sensor just enough that it doesn't read the reluctor wheel. These are classic symptoms. Your pedal probably drops also when the ABS kicks in. To eliminate some work you could have someone with a scanner ride with you and monitor which wheel is dropping off at 10mph and just do that sensor. If that doesn't fix it you ,might as well replace the hubs. The cost difference from the sensor to the hub is minimal.
Bob
Old December 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Do yourself a favor. If the sensor is good or your replacing it. Clean the mounting surface of all rust and apply grease to it ,and around the outside of the sensor before putting into the hub.If you dont it will rust again(the hole will shrink on the sensor causing it to be useless).After tightening the allen bolt put grease on the outside of the sensor to keep out moisture.There was a recall on these a while back. The dealer only puts grease in the bore which isnt enough.Trus me been there done that!!
Old December 5th, 2009, 9:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Thats a good tip on using the grease. I'll have to add that to the procedure.
Thanks.
Bob
Old December 6th, 2009, 10:13 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the quick reply / solution guys...........I'm on it
...............Ed