Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another question about gas milage.

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2007, 11:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another question about gas milage.

Hey, first of all I want to say that I did search old posts to try to find what I'm looking for but I can't come up with anything.

Ok, now for my question. What kind of mpg are you getting in your 4.8 liter trucks, I'm trying to decide what kind of vehicle to get and the mpg is going to be a pretty good size factor.

Thanks
Old March 26th, 2007, 8:26 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Another question about gas milage.

No offense meant by this but if it is that much of a concern get a car or small truck/suv that gets decent MPG. No V8 full size truck will get good MPG. The 4.8L trucks generally get the same or even slightly less than similar 5.3L trucks because they have to work harder to accomplish the same task.
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:47 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get about 14.5 to 15 with my 5.3 at 75 on highway with a tad of intown driving.
Old March 26th, 2007, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

I realize that it's not going to get amazing gas milage, I'm just wondering what kind of mileage everyone else is getting out of their 4.8 liter. I know what the 5.3 liter gets, gas milage wise...I just want to hear what the mileage is on the 4.8.

Thanks
Old March 26th, 2007, 8:57 PM
CF Active Member

what have you heard on the 5.3 for gas mileage? is mine in the ballpark?
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:56 PM
CF Beginner

Yes somewhere in there. My dad's truck has a 5.3 and he gets about 14 in the city and 17 highway (this is the best he's ever gotten, it's around 16 usually).

Anyone have a 4.8 that is willing to put up some mpg? Please.
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:04 AM
CF Active Member

Well at least we are keeping this thread alive. Thanks for letting me know. I only get about 12.5 in town wiht mine.
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:23 AM
CF Junior Member

sneakysnake;

As I said, the 4.8L gets approx the same to slightly less MPG than a similarly equipped truck with the 5.3L. The 4.8L has to work a lot harder to get the heavy truck going and thus your foot is into the throttle more often and deeper. I am on most of the Chevy truck forums and that is how it seems to work out. The 2WD Regular Cab trucks with the 4.8L seem to get better MPG highway( by approx 1-2 MPG best case scenario)than a 5.3L one but otherwise at best it is about the same and usually worse than a similar 5.3L powered truck.

The only truck I would even consider a 4.8L in would be a RC. I would have to think long and hard about it evenin a RC if it was 4WD.The EC and CC models are just too heavy for it if MPG is a concern. I had a 03 Ram Quad Cab with the 4.7L V8 and it got significantly less MPG than my 04( same exact thing in every detail butfor color ) Ram Quad Cab with the HEMI. The HEMI was so much more powerful that it worked a lot easier and thus got better MPG by a long shot. Was more fun to drive as well. [&:]

So, if you check out various forums you willsee that the style of truck you are considering( ie; RC, EC, CC - 2WD/4WD )plays into it but generally the 5.3L will be recommended. More power and approx the same or even better MPG. Let's say a EC 4WD with a 5.3L gets say 16 MPG on average plan on a similar truck with the 4.8L getting approx the same and maybe 1or as much as1.5 MPG less.

I am very **** about MPG myself( why I sold my HEMI Ram and went to Chevy )so I researched this a lot. The 4.8L does NOT get better MPG except in that one rare case( RC 2WD )from what I have seen/read. It is also significantly less powerful than the 5.3L equipped models. I was amazed at how much so when I drove some.More power + same or better MPG = no brainer get the 5.3L

Hope this helps.
Old April 1st, 2007, 11:24 PM
CF Beginner

I get 19-20 with my 07 4.7L classic
Old April 9th, 2007, 7:18 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 01 4.8 extended cab. On my first road trip to Texas 14 hour trip I averaged 21 to nearly 22 drafting behind a buddy and mixed daily commuting was 20 mpg's. Once I changed from the 235 R16 to 265 R16's I went to about 17 MPG's mixed highway/city. Recently after nearly 105.000 mile I changed tires again and went to 245 R16, on a trip to Cotton Wood AZ and not changing the computer to the 245's setings my milage was 18 mpg's one tank of gas 466.5 mile trip. I bet if I had changed the computer setting I would have been getting about 19-20 which is not bad smaller trucks get worse than that with the V-6's. When I was hauling a 6000 lb load on the 265's my mileage was about 14 to 14.5 at 65-75. I guess the moral to the story is plus 3 tire size is not good for gas milage.

Quick Reply: Another question about gas milage.