Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 3:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

belt squeak, but not the belt? help please

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2021, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you fix your squeak or chirp?
Old June 24th, 2021, 8:08 AM
CF Beginner

Default Elusive squeak from drive belt(s)

I have a 2000 Z-71 4.8 all manual. It developed a bit of a squeak around 275000 miles. I looked and looked and narrowed it down to the ps pump. Not wanting to get one at that time, I let it go. Put the truck on minimalist duty and let it sit. Got a 2005 Escalade from where I work. 6.0 that runs good, 250k on it. 1000$ bought it cuz the ps pulley (and shaft) came out the front of the pump body, slipped the belt and made a helluva mess. Owner couldn’t drive it obviously and dropped it and title at the shop I wrench at. I also got. 2003 Tahoe 5.3 auto engine fire survivor. (Barely) I used the ps pump etc to fix the Cadillac. Now I’m preparing to drop the 6.0 in the z-71 and call it a match made in heaven. I never seen a 6.0 in a first run LS z-71 with all manual drivetrain. Lol, I love that platform. Essentially 10spd w 4wd if you can shift it. Some slight mods to the gear boxes will aid in manual SOTF activity.
My point is, a belt squeak that is hard to nail down, check the LS pulley for any thrust play. It needs some, but any play that you can feel is to much and the pulley is walking out of line with the rest of the accessories.

good day
Old November 14th, 2021, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

Default Squeal/chirp

Originally Posted by landon101
hey all i have a 1997 chevy 1500 4x4 5.7 and ive been hearing a loud squeel while idling and driving so i changed the serpentine belt and also the auto adjustment.."pulley"?( not sure exactly what its called) but the one you can leverage down to take off the belt. Is there something im missing what else could the noise still be coming from?
I have made a million trips to NAPA, my husband has replaced everything that moves, some things twice and the chirping was driving him mad. (97 Chevy Silverado) I found this thread and saw a couple of people said to turn the belt inside out! YA’LL!!!! You could hear angel’s singing! But you could NOT hear a chirp or squeal on that old truck! Don’t know or care why it worked…it might have saved my husband’s sanity and our marriage!