Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Black smoke

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2012, 2:33 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black smoke

A couple months ago I noticed my truck blew out a little black smoke when some pretty boy tried showing off with his girlfriend in the car and tried racing me (let's just say she doesn't think so kind of his car now). Anyway my understanding had always been when a truck burns oil its blueish and my dad told me it was running rich and burning gas. It's a 200,000 mile truck but its never burned oil in its life so I wouldn't think it would start all of the sudden to where it was blowing smoke like that. It threw an O2 sensor code twice and put all 4 new sensors in it but it still blows black smoke and threw an O2 sensor code again. The truck has always been real weird with throwing codes and id clear them and they'd never come back. The guy at Orielly's told me it could be the wiring after the sensor plug. I looked at the wiring there and it looked like a real pain to replace. Do any of you think that could be it? Another thing is I put a throttle body spacer on it when I replaced the O2 sensors on. Could the sensors of fixed it but the spacer throw the fuel ratio off again? Any help would be appreciated.
Old November 5th, 2012, 7:53 AM
CF Active Member

The sensors shouldn't been effected by a spacer. Sounds like a ring. I'd have to smell the exhuast to be able to tell whats going on there. Change your oil and see if there are any metal particulates in the oil. The oil will look sparkly and possibly a couple chunks of metal. If its a ring you dont want to run on it too long, or else you'll have to sleeve the cylinder.
Old November 6th, 2012, 12:13 AM
CF Junior Member

I know it couldn't be messing with my sensors but could it be messing with the computer causing more fuel to be injected?
Old November 6th, 2012, 6:37 AM
CF Senior Member

Probably not messing with the sensors could be a leaking fuel pressure regulator or dying spider injection assy also check the resistance of the coolant temp sensor hot and cold
Old November 14th, 2012, 2:28 AM
CF Junior Member

It just through a random misfire code and running to lean code on the passenger side. Maybe the black smoke is the gas coming from the cylinder that didnt fire. What would be causing the misfire? I checked the plugs and wires and they were all fine.
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:38 AM
CF Beginner

Try replacing Temp sensor on intake near thermostat housing. I was having black smoke issues and this fixed the issue. $15.00 part.