Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Boot Leak

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2014, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boot Leak

Hi All...

New here and trying to figure this out for my husband, who is working away from home.

The pickup is a Chevy 2500 Cheyenne...standard 4 speed overdrive...

The clutch was recently replaced and all seemed well...

Last week, after driving for about 4 hours, he stopped for gas. While off and parked, the boot leaked a bunch of trans fluid ALL over the floor.

I did what research I could, and found that it could be the gasket. So he took it apart this weekend, there is a smaller boot that covers where the stick goes in...and that looked fine, the gasket looks just fine. He left the boot off...to see what happens...

The fluid is bubbling up out of where the stick goes in...(sorry this would help with pictures or if I knew what the dang parts were all called)...

So the gasket around the whole assembly seems just fine. Its just where the actual stick comes out is where there is a problem. He was thinking to pack it with grease to keep it from bubbling out.

He examine the whole piece, took it right off so we were just looking in at the trans...he couldn't see a place for there being a seal or a gasket.

He did have the clutch done about 3 months ago, and everything was fine....so maybe there is some other sort of seal in that part?

Sorry this probably makes no sense, but he doesn't have access to a pc right now...and I am not mechanically inclined...

Any ideas would be appreciated tho...

Christine
Old August 18th, 2014, 4:45 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is an automatic transmission? Not following you when you say clutch replaced and leaking out the dipstick tube?

What year?

Allan
Old August 21st, 2014, 12:17 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unsure w/o exact part names. you don't want trans fluid foaming and it has anti-foaming agents in it.

possible cause of foaming and overflow: fluid level too high. check while hot and running. leave it slightly below "max line". many people don't realize the line means: "any more you'll damage it"

> you said "plug line so none comes out"

on any trans there's an overflow/vent rubber tube and the tube should not be blocked