Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can it be done

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2009, 7:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tommy: No, I don't care to much for the decals. This is just something I would like to do to the truck.

Suzuki-guy: I am not an extreme off-road type of person but do occasionally go off road and would just like to better my ride to do so. If I ever really get into it I would just do what everybody here recommends and buy an old 4x4.
Old April 6th, 2009, 7:07 AM
CF Beginner

Also if anybody knows what type of shocks and springs are recommended to buy. I was looking into the Rancho shocks but I don't know too much about them. Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Everywhere you look it's Z71 this, Z71 that.

Let's level the playing field with some factual information first. Options and mechanicals on GM vehicles are defined in the glovebox with a "service parts identification"sticker which has a series of codes. These codes have a three letter/number designation.There's about 70 to 75 codes on that sticker which record the vehicles OEM packages installed at the factory.

Example:"Z71" Z meaning "suspension" and "71" designating the specs for that particular suspension for that particular year. My suspension, for instance, is designated Z85; more of a heavy duty highway/workhorse system which hasn't managed to charm the public's imagination.

Generally, (at least since the "Z71" suspension became a trendy fad with the 4X4 crowd) this package involves a skid plate, Bilstien shocks, and at times special rims, amongst other things. It's another label, which at this point, like the term 4X4(major misnomer) is a term whose origin and meaning has gotten lost in the crowd of status-driven labels with which people desire to adorn their truck. GM has latched onto it in order to boost sales;"Oh, you want a 4X4? How about this Z71..."

People who are serious about heavy-duty performance tend to go way beyond OEM. It might be a good idea for you to get together with other off-road drivers, and see if a Z71 package will be good enough to cut the mustard for your personal needs.If you're willing to risk voiding your warranty, it probably wouldn't be too expensive to meet or exceed Z71 specs with 2WD. Google or your local dealer can probably give you a printout of exactly what the package is on your model.

All things considered, (such as voiding the warranty on a new truck)a trade-in might be wise if you actually want what Z71 actually has to offer.

I had a set of Rancho RS5000s, a truly great truck shock.Ask somebody you know who's installed them on their vehicle. I've got Monroe Reflex Gas now,l've also been happy with Monroe Gas-Magnums, and Gas-Matics. It depends on the firmness of your ride preference.

Last edited by therewolf; April 6th, 2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old April 6th, 2009, 2:30 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks alot for the info. I am going to check into these things and see what can be done starting with the dealer to find out about the warranty.
Old April 6th, 2009, 8:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A z71 comes with g80 locking diff, different tires and rims, a suspension that sits 2.7 inches higher, better shocks, and the cool sticker
Old April 7th, 2009, 4:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, suzuki-guy, THIS year. Sometimes it has a beefed up alternator and other stuff.

I think the OP needs to focus on his actual needs(Like maybe a lift kit? Possibly gas shocks? Who knows maybe even just a winch will work for him.) are, rather than be hypnotized by a label.
Old April 7th, 2009, 5:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude take it back and get a 4wd z71 you will love it and you will probably pay the same amount as if you put everything 0n it to make it a quote on quote Z71
Old April 8th, 2009, 6:34 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks alot for your input.