Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Code-name: The 83

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2009, 4:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Code-name: The 83

So my dad bought an '83 Chevy pickup with a lift kit and big tires on it a couple years back to kind of give him something to tinker on if he's bored or stressed. He's running short on cash, so I figured I'd help him out and bought it from him since he can't find the time or money to fix it up these days.

Anyways, I can't stand the color right now. There's not a single SPOT of rust on it, but the paint is old, faded, oxydized and flaking so it must be repainted. The biggest problem is, I don't know what color to go with. I was originally thinking flat black. Then I realized every other old chevy with a lift and big tires is... flat black.

I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place on this project since I want it to really be a nice looking rig that'll turn heads when they hear the 350 rev up, yet it's going to see more time in muddy corn fields than a combine.

Any color suggestions or samples of colors that might look good on it?
Old March 10th, 2009, 5:17 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Yellow
Attached Thumbnails Code-name: The 83-yellow_chevy_pickup.jpg   Code-name: The 83-yellow.jpg  

Last edited by in2pro; March 10th, 2009 at 5:20 PM.
Old March 10th, 2009, 6:36 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

I'm a fan of red... A big red truck just always looks good, but if I were you I would take some of the colored spray on bedliner stuff and spray the bottom rockers and wheelwhells with it for protection
Old March 10th, 2009, 7:07 PM
CF Active Member

bright ugly obnoxious green...big lift big tires....hulk truck lol
Old March 10th, 2009, 8:09 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Candy Burnt Sunset Orange Metallic Flake Base/Clear

Need me to repeat that? It was a mouthful. lol

I have always liked Burnt/Sunset Orange Metallic paintjobs on custom trucks.
Kinda like this studebaker truck below:
Attached Thumbnails Code-name: The 83-1939-studebaker-express-pickup-burnt-orange-r-sy.jpg  
Old March 10th, 2009, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 92chevysilvy
I'm a fan of red... A big red truck just always looks good, but if I were you I would take some of the colored spray on bedliner stuff and spray the bottom rockers and wheelwhells with it for protection

Funny you should mention red. If I remember right the truck's red as it sits! I only saw it once and that was two years ago and it was getting dark out, but I'm pretty sure what I saw was a red. I guess I'll find out when I head out to Wyoming to get see my dad and pick it up.

I WILL be spraying bedliner on the whole underside for sure. There is absolutely no rust at all on this truck and I want it to stay like that for many years to come! The Ford Exploder I'm driving now doesn't even have rockers or fenders anymore because the rust ate it all away.

I have always liked Burnt/Sunset Orange Metallic paintjobs on custom trucks.
That sort of thing was a thought of mine, but more of a Candy Blue Metallic Flake Base/Clear coat sort of deal with Candy Apple Green Metallic Flake pinstriping/lettering I do like the burnt sunset orange, though. It looks pretty sweet! Just not quite what I can picture on this truck. Maybe I'll paint my 94 Cavalier the orange metallic, though.
Old March 10th, 2009, 9:15 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

You know what would be sweet... An all chrome truck. I love chrome.... I wonder if there is any of them out there.....
Old March 10th, 2009, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

Lol, all chrome? I like a little chrome here and there on some vehicles, but nothing to that extent. Maybe chrome nerf bars and chrome bumpers, but that's about as far as I'd really go.
Old March 10th, 2009, 9:24 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

http://www.smokinhotrods.com/1969_ch...p_hw_rl_ch.jpg

Found one!!

maybe your right, it would probably blind other drivers!!
Old March 10th, 2009, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

I found a REAL truck that's completely chrome, but I can't get the original sized pic, just the one google had up. I'll keep trying to get it to work, though. I kinda want to see what it actually looks like!
Attached Thumbnails Code-name: The 83-images.jpg  

Quick Reply: Code-name: The 83