Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

cold air intake?? exhaust?? whats the deal

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2008, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold air intake?? exhaust?? whats the deal

Okay. Heres the deal. I have always heard alot of good things about K&N air filters and accessories. I recently bought a 1995 z71 with the 5.7, and 11 miles to the gallon isn't really ideal. So I asked some buddies, and some said get a cold air intake. So I look around on this site, and quite a bit of people do not seem to think that a cold air intake will do anything. Others go as far to say that K&N air filters/intakes are bad for motors. Will a cold air intake do anything for gas mileage?? Would exhaust do more?? And if a cold air intake, is K&N a bad choice?? There are so many varying opinions, and I can't seem to make up my mind which is correct.

Thanks
Old April 5th, 2008, 5:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: cold air intake?? exhaust?? whats the deal

ok try and saty with me hear,
cold air is denser then hot/warm air you would want to use cold ai, but on the other hand if you live where its cold all the time, a cold air intake will do nothing at all for you.
now as far as the exhaust,
just adding a tip will do nothing, if you put a catback then youll find a better gain.
good luck!!
Old April 5th, 2008, 6:10 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Cold air intakes will give some HP, but at the cost of fuel mileage. As 95k1500z71 said, cold air is more dense than hot air, meaning more air is entering the intake when its cold, the vehicles computer tries to acomplish an air\fuel ratio of 14.7:1. So if more air is entering the intake, the computer will add more fuel to keep the ratio correct.
Old April 5th, 2008, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

i have a 2008 hd with 6.0,purchased the gm performance cold air induction.i love it,more hp and increased my mpg 3-4.also i have flowmaster dual exhaust.stick with gm on the cold air, i have sevearl friends who have done the same thing and all report from 2-4 more mpg.
Old April 5th, 2008, 8:38 PM
Super Moderator

I saw a 1-3 mpg by adding a S&B CAI and a catback system.
Old April 6th, 2008, 3:01 PM
CF Junior Member

i thought K&N air filters were good. I have one on my truck.. should i take it out, or is this a dumb question?
Old April 6th, 2008, 3:31 PM
Super Moderator

K&N ar filter are okay but they let more debrie into the engine than a stock filter. Everyone check this site out about filters and their ratings. I know that these ratings are produced by S&B filters, but they not only compare S&B to other products, they also give the ratings for the others compared to stock.

http://www.thetruthaboutfilters.com/
Old April 25th, 2008, 4:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

K&N ar filter are okay but they let more debrie into the engine than a stock filter
Sorry Northey..gotta disagree. I've seen independant tests where the K&N's leave all others for dead.
The main problem is people over oil them which ends up on the tiny wires/resistors in the MAF.
I don't think you'll see ANY difference from the K&N except you won't ever need to replace it...just wash and re-oil.
I'd suspect the guys who've seen an improvement have seen it from the exhaust mods.
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

That is why I like S&B, they offer a reoilling kit that you can carefully control the amount of oil you use with very detailed instructions. Maintained properly an S&B will last a lifetime, like K&N.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 4:41 PM
CF Beginner

i have an Airraid intake on my 07 and i couldnt be more happy i notice more hp and better mileage ,im really pleased