Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Coolant overflow tank NASTY

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2009, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to pull my hose off to check once with the expansion tank cap off( lets the pressure out), I am sure you dont have a radiator cap, thier unsafe to open while they are hot anyway.

I have always wanted to install a glass or high temp clear plastic 6" long tube by cutting out a section of my coolant hose, just so I can pop the hood and look, and not have to rip crap apart.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; May 31st, 2009 at 11:13 PM. Reason: added comment
Old June 1st, 2009, 9:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike Sigmond
I had to pull my hose off to check once with the expansion tank cap off( lets the pressure out), I am sure you dont have a radiator cap, thier unsafe to open while they are hot anyway.

I have always wanted to install a glass or high temp clear plastic 6" long tube by cutting out a section of my coolant hose, just so I can pop the hood and look, and not have to rip crap apart.
mike, if you were referring to my post, no one says to remove cap when engine is hot. remove cap just when you started it, or have it removed and then start engine. some spillage will occur, easily refillable later. i have done this test on countless cars, never had any trouble. saved some country boy in TN lots of money, as he already replaced everything obvious on his 80sh chevy, trying to prevent it from overheating. we did this test and sure enough - beer foam right there at the start up.

funny enough, we bought 94 mitsubishi expo lrv from him. ain't his kinda car. ended being best car we ever had, we loved it BADLY.
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

That does sound like a cool idea, that is right up there with the clear distributor caps you used to be able to get....
they stopped selling them because of the radio interference they caused or so I heard...
Old June 2nd, 2009, 1:09 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by in2pro
That does sound like a cool idea

I wanna do it, Where can you get glass tubes? The only thing I can think of is getting a clear glass "water filtered tobacco pipe" and cutting off the spout.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 1:14 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
mike, if you were referring to my post, no one says to remove cap when engine is hot. remove cap just when you started it, or have it removed and then start engine. .
I just meant that most newer cars dont have rad. caps anymore, the surge tank has enough air in it to slowly let the pressure out when its hot. I just did that when it was hot once with the engine off to see if it had air bubbles. I did wear some heavy rubber gloves because it does spill on your hands a little when removing the hose. The surge tank doesnt show the real conditions of whats really going on in the lines from my experience.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 7:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine definitely has a radiator cap. I haven't had a chance to do anything just yet with it though...hopefully I will in the next week.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 7:27 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I wanna do it, Where can you get glass tubes? The only thing I can think of is getting a clear glass "water filtered tobacco pipe" and cutting off the spout.
I don;t think you need glass but acrylic tubing or clear PVC should hold up to the temp
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Well pet stores sell clear acrylic tubing for fish tanks, I will go look and see one of these days soon. that would make a cool DIY.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 1:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone removed the lower radiator hose to drain instead of the radiator drain plug?

I can't remember exactly how it looks under there but it maybe easier to get to.