Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:46 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Can you bleed the radiator thru the overflow tank?

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2012, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you bleed the radiator thru the overflow tank?

Hello, tried asking in the Cav section, lots of readers, but no answer. My friend has an 02 Cav, there is apparently no cap on the radiator, only the overflow tank which is higher than the top of the radiator. So, could you burp the system through the overflow? My friend, (female), says the heat works when driving, but when sitting, it blows cooler or cold air.

Should work in theory, but not sure if theory applies with this.

Thanks in advance!
Old November 30th, 2012, 2:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Taken from another forum:
It sounds like you may have air trapped in the cooling system. The Cavalier has a bleed screw located on the high part of the metal coolant pipe in the front of the engine.

"Always bleed air from cooling system after replacing coolant. Set heater for maximum heat. Remove radiator cap. Loosen drain plug and remove drain bolt (if equipped) from engine block. Drain coolant reservoir. Fill coolant reservoir to MAX mark with 50/50 water-coolant mixture. Loosen bleed bolt and fill radiator up to base of filler neck. Close bleed bolt when coolant flows out without bubbles. Tighten bleed bolt. With radiator cap removed, start and operate engine to normal operating temperature. Add coolant if necessary and check for leaks "
The issue you are saying dosen't sound like the system needs bled, that is usually an over heating issue. This sounds like thermostat issue. There is no cap, so the resevior is the fill

Last edited by kevinkpk; November 30th, 2012 at 3:32 PM.
Old December 1st, 2012, 5:57 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks, my daughter had a cav a few years ago and I had to replace the thermostat in that one time too. The fun I had with that is the thermostat is horizontal so I had to use some permagasket around the housing to keep the sucker from leaking.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:21 AM
CF Beginner

Figured it out, Bled from the line under the rotor. Thanks for all the help.....NOT.