Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Coolant reservoir question...

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2012, 1:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant reservoir question...

Hi guys, Im new here. I have been wondering about my coolant reservoir... While truck was warm checked coolant level in reservoir and it was empty but the radiator was about full. Motor only has 68,000 on it and previous owner took excellent care and said he never had any problems. Temp gauge reads normal, about 180 or 190. No antifreeze leaks or smell. Engine is CLEAN. Heater works great. But also sometimes when first started up I can hear a gurgling noise in the cab. So after all my rambling, do any of you have any help to give me? Is the reservoir supposed to have anything in it? Was it empty because it was warm?
Old October 24th, 2012, 5:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

yes. clean it off and look for the full level marks. The rad should be full to the top of the rad neck.
Old October 24th, 2012, 6:17 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you coolant indicates low in certain intervals, it may be a sign to indicate a leak, and can be an extremely hazardous condition. Losing coolant can cause air to enter the system and result in extreme corrosion. Worse, coolant can leak into the engine oil. Even small amounts of coolant in the oil, difficult for a laboratory to trace, can severely damage an engine. The system should be checked and repaired before driving further. The normal procedure involves pressurizing the system and inspecting for leaks.
Old October 24th, 2012, 10:41 PM
CF Beginner

Can you explain to me how this system works? I mean by just looking at it, I don't see how it can pull any antifreeze out of the reservoir and into the radiator. It looks to me like its just an overflow for when the system gets too hot, it'll push the spring up on the cap and allow the steam and fluid to travel down the hose and into the reservoir.
Old November 12th, 2012, 1:39 PM
CF Beginner

Have a competent mechanic inspect your intake manifold gasket. Especially on the V-6. I had to have mine replaced at 95,000+miles, and the shop owner told me that this one was one of the longest lasting ones he has seen. Now, I am having heater problems, probably the blend door actuator, or the blend store is stuck with debris. Anyone care to help with that?

Last edited by Cavbilly1; November 12th, 2012 at 1:41 PM. Reason: added comments
Old November 12th, 2012, 3:51 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Do you have any leaks? You state you can hear gurguling noise in the cab, are you using the heater? Is the floorboard wet?

The overflow is that, it also acts as a surge tank. The system will circulate more coolent with the heater on, thus shutting the flow off to the core the coolent could bypass to the reservoir, it also acts as an overflow if the cap overpressurizes slightly that coolent will flow back, and back into the radiator as the level dictates. Best explaination I can give.
Old February 5th, 2013, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry guys havent been on in forever. But anyways, a while back my water pump went and was dumping antifreeze all over the ground. Replaced it and the reservoir holds antifreeze now.