Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Degreased engine problem....Need help......

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2010, 3:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Degreased engine problem....Need help......

I had wanted to clean up my engine on my 1995 chevy k1500 truck so i planned on degreasing it. It worked fine before the whole incident. Well i degreased the engine real good, but now it doesn't want to start. It doesnt crank over or anything. When you turn the key nothing comes on like it used to. Air condition works still, and i can turn on lights and use wipers, so that means electricity is flowing through but somethings interrupting the ignition or its just simply not going through. I let the engine dry out for about a week and then tried looking over everything to see if it was all dry and it was but still no start. I even took off the distributor cap and let that dry for a couple of days. I researched that maybe it could be the ignition coil but i'm not sure if it is the problem so i wanted to see what you all thought? any suggestions????
Old October 24th, 2010, 7:25 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the starter turn over? Is there any power going to the coil?
Old October 24th, 2010, 12:17 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a solenoid on the starter, it may have arced while cleaning. it is best ti dissconnect the batt b4 spraying with water as there are a LOT of connections underhood. the way to find out if it is, is to jump the starter, u do this by arcing the connections on it, from the main lead to the single wire on the side of the solenoid, if it turns over and fires, the solenoid is shot, they are 20 bucks, or the whole starter is 200