Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Done with Chevy

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2014, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your tranny problems. I bought a 2013 GMC after owning Ford (3 trucks) for the past ten years. I went to the GM truck because my last Ford was the 6.0 Diesel. Talk about a vehicle that could leave you stranded! I couldn't even get a Ford dealer to take it as a trade in.
It would be nice to know what your service intervals were for your vehicle. Was it used for towing? Was it serviced per the maintenance schedule?
I don't truly believe that any one brand of truck has the perfect solution. (i.e., no problems). Some get lucky and have zero problems and others get the short straw.
Good luck with your truck and any future purchase.

Bill
Old April 16th, 2014, 7:04 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by fishbreath
Sorry to hear about your tranny problems. I bought a 2013 GMC after owning Ford (3 trucks) for the past ten years. I went to the GM truck because my last Ford was the 6.0 Diesel. Talk about a vehicle that could leave you stranded! I couldn't even get a Ford dealer to take it as a trade in.
It would be nice to know what your service intervals were for your vehicle. Was it used for towing? Was it serviced per the maintenance schedule?
I don't truly believe that any one brand of truck has the perfect solution. (i.e., no problems). Some get lucky and have zero problems and others get the short straw.
Good luck with your truck and any future purchase.

Bill

Thanks Bill. The service manual recommends changing the transmission fluid at
50000 miles, however the dealership told me that i should have brought it in sooner to have it changed then they would have helped me out. As far as all trucks can have problems...I believe you are right. The more I read forums from different sites and brands, its the same with all of them. I am thinking about taking a card reader or fortune teller with me next time to help buy a truck. Couldnt hurt. Have a good one Bill.
Old April 18th, 2014, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugly
save the grief - buy a Ford
ABSOLUTELY. You will have MAXIMUM economy getting to the

grief, if you buy a ford. It will show you how lucky you were to

have a Chevy, in the first place.
Old April 19th, 2014, 12:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I could have the body and (5.3L small-block V8) engine of my Silverado combined with the interior & suspension of a Ford F-150, I'd have the ultimate truck. LOL! :-)

Regarding the trouble-prone 6.0L "Powerstroke" diesel in the 2003 to 2007 F-Series heavy-duty trucks, that was not a Ford engine. They procured the 6.0 (just like the 7.3L before it and the 6.4L afterwards) from Navistar/International. With the 2011+ models, Ford installed their own in-house 6.7L 'Scorpion' turbodiesel V8 -- quieter, more economical and more powerful than its predecessor.

If I needed a heavy-duty truck, I'd likely go that route......but for a half-ton, the Silverado is just fine. ;-)

Last edited by JK23112; April 19th, 2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old April 20th, 2014, 4:11 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by therewolf
ABSOLUTELY. You will have MAXIMUM economy getting to the

grief, if you buy a ford. It will show you how lucky you were to

have a Chevy, in the first place.
Old April 21st, 2014, 7:51 AM
CF Beginner

Talking update on my silverado that is proven to be like a rock

Finally got a buyer. Got the transmission fixed no thanks to the new GMs customer service. Im on my way to meet the buyer. Check charging system warning comes on , and battery light comes on. Call the guy tell him whats happened and run it to my friends garage and find that alternator has taken a dump at 41500 miles. Now I know some of you die hard chevy guys once again will find blame with me again like I didnt service it , or ran it too hard. We r and r the alternator and I put a new battery in it.....Luckily the guy still wants the truck so i sold it to him. Just a recap on this like a rock truck. Floor board takes in water at 10000 miles and shorts out airbag. Rear window and side windows quit working at 15000 miles, bumper airbag sensor out at 16000miles. Rotars worn out at 21000 miles. Another water leak into cab at 32000 miles. Transmission out at 40000 miles, alternator out at 41000 miles. Like a rock..........Good bye GM, and youre welcome for the bailout.
Old April 21st, 2014, 8:56 AM
CF Active Member

sorry you had soo many problems

This is my first Chevy truck, kind of. I had a '58 back in the 70's.

I bought this one used with 20k miles on it last June - I'm about 100 miles short of 45,000. Besides changing the oil for the third time today all I've done is replaced the wiper blades.

I'll service the trans at 50k and probably change the transfer case fluid while I'm at it.

I hope this one last a long time - I really enjoy driving it - even though it's pretty ugly.

Better luck with your next truck - I've always been a Ford man and I seriously doubt that I will ever buy a Dodge - or a Ram - maybe next year they'll have Fiat logos on them.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by meric
Finally got a buyer. Got the transmission fixed no thanks to the new GMs customer service. Im on my way to meet the buyer. Check charging system warning comes on , and battery light comes on. Call the guy tell him whats happened and run it to my friends garage and find that alternator has taken a dump at 41500 miles. Now I know some of you die hard chevy guys once again will find blame with me again like I didnt service it , or ran it too hard. We r and r the alternator and I put a new battery in it.....Luckily the guy still wants the truck so i sold it to him. Just a recap on this like a rock truck. Floor board takes in water at 10000 miles and shorts out airbag. Rear window and side windows quit working at 15000 miles, bumper airbag sensor out at 16000miles. Rotars worn out at 21000 miles. Another water leak into cab at 32000 miles. Transmission out at 40000 miles, alternator out at 41000 miles. Like a rock..........Good bye GM, and youre welcome for the bailout.
Think I got ya beat, my new ford f150 had 28 defects in 7 months.

The factory wouldn't talk to me, the dealer refused to handle it, claimed

"they didn't represent ford". Transmission went in 49K. Brakes? Twice in

30K. Exhaust? 35K. It didn't even have an alignment, brand new.

I certainly hope you are proud of your ford, because the manufacturer

and dealer certainly aren't. The only thing they are worried about is how

much money they can rip you off for, when they foist that shiny POS

off on you...
Old April 22nd, 2014, 4:26 PM
CF Active Member

If I was to buy a new truck today I would look at and drive a Chevy and a Ford - good and bad in everyone of them.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 9:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

had a 2005 ram 1500 hemi. That engine was impressive.

Quick Reply: Done with Chevy