Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

DTL bulb socket help

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2008, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DTL bulb socket help

Hi. This past weekend we picked up a 2003 Silverado 1500HD (41,000 miles). Absolutely love the 4-door and the white. Dealer put on some decent rims, which look pretty okay if I may say so myself (only complaint is a little too shiny for a "work truck"). The bigger tires make the gas mileage even slightly poorer but it's not a problem because I don't plan on it being my daily driver. Just mainly for plowing and travel during winter. And of course some hauling. You know.. truck duty. (maybe pics soon)

Anyways,
it doesn't come as a surprise my driver-side daytime running lamp is burnt out (or may it be the socket? I haven't trouble shooted). My plan is to replace them (both) with amber lights, like those of the turn signals. I know a lot of people do this.
I got the top light off and have good access to the socket and bulb (very easy, much to my surprise). I run into a problem, however, trying to get the bulb out of the socket. I guess I'm a newb at this kind of stuff as I haven't seen others complain about it.. anyways the manual is very vague about it. It says something about a lock lever, and I've spotted 2 small hole things with tabs inside which look to lock in the bulb in place. My problem is pushing these in, freeing the unit. Unfortunately my fingers don't fit in there so I need a pen/needle or something small (no time for jokes ) to try to depress both simultaneously WHILE trying to lift the bulb or turn c-clockwise as the manual says.. whichever works. Are there any hints (2-person job maybe?)? Maybe I'm doing it completely wrong.. that always crosses my mind.

Also, while we're at it, could I get a model of bulb that has worked effectively for others? May as well do it right the first time.

Thanks much. Hope to be able to do it soon.
Old October 16th, 2008, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DTL bulb socket help

when i did mine i had no problems at all...

1.) slide out the locking pin on top of light
2.) pull headlight out
3.) twist DTL socket counterclockwise and it pulls out
4.) reverse order for insallation

Good luck

p.s- as for bulb model i really couldn't help ya. but i put sylvania in mine