Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

E85 gas use

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2015, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85 gas use

This is my first time posting, so be gentle!
I recently noticed my local gas station is offering E85 Ethanol gas at a slightly lower price. There is a notice not to use is a vehicle made before 2000. My Truck being a recently acquired 2003 Silverado I was wondering if I can switch to this cheaper more environmentally friendly fuel?
I read another post that was confusing as the member was asking about gas with 15% ethanol and the responses were not clear as they seemed to be talking about both. Now I'm confused.
A little clarification would be appreciated.
Old September 11th, 2015, 4:28 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

E85 is 85% ethanol, 15% gas. Most "regular" unleaded gasoline contains some small percentage of ethanol, usually 10%.

E85 is not economically feasible - the cost savings is less than the decrease in mileage. It's a loser.

Now, that being said, E85 has a higher octane rating, so you should see a slight boost in engine power.

E85 is also very hygroscopic. It readily absorbs moisture from the air. So if you do decide to run it, don't let the tank run too low.

Me personally, I will never run E85 in my trucks.
Old September 11th, 2015, 4:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I would challenge you assumptions to a degree.

Let's take a look at some of the facts...

Right now, Regular no lead in my area is $2.45. E10 is $2.36, and E15 is $2.26. E85 is $1.84.

My 2015 Silverado 2500 6.0L gets roughly 14.5 mpg on E0 - E15 regular. No appreciable difference. At those prices mentioned and in order, the cost per mile for each of them is 16.9 cents, 16.3 cents, and 15.6 cents per mile, respectively.

My pickup does take a hit on E85, about 2 mpg, at roughly 12.7 mpg on the stuff. At that mpg, and at the prevailing cost, the cost per mile is 14.5 cents a mile. Cheaper than all of the above.

True, ethanol is hydroscopic, but unless you are leaving the fuel cap off or use it in a vented fuel system, it is non issue. Auto/pickup fuel systems are closed systems. I have used various ethanol blends from E10, E15, E20, E30, and E85 for years. E10 since it was introduced in the 1970's. I took a 1974 Pontiac Catalina with a carbureted 400 small block to 250,000 miles with nary an issue, using E10 for most of it's life. The motor outlasted the car. In almost 4 decades of using ethanol laced gasolines, I have never, nor have I heard or seen of, a problem with them. Only in internet comments. And usually, when problems have occurred, it can be traced to something else, but it is so easy to blame the ethanol.

Now, I will concede, that a vehicle that has had only ethanol free gas run in it for a long, long time, might experience some problem if someone puts E10 or higher in their tank. That is because the ethanol will loosen up gasoline varnish and deposits in the fuel system. That is not the fault of the ethanol, but the fault of the properties of gasoline.

Only small engine applications, have I seen any issue with ethanol. But remember, they are vented fuel systems, unlike autos.

The key to using anything is cost per mile, not miles per gallon. There is no reason to be throwing money away. The beauty of a flex fuel motor is that you have a smorgasbord of fuels to choose from. I go at this purely in a business way, with no bias for or against ethanol. It is purely a cost benefit equation. I use whatever offers me the best value on a cost per mile basis. Right now, that is E85. For most of last spring, it was E15. If ethanol free fuel would offer me the best value, I would use it. At least in my area, we have ethanol and ethanol free gasoline available year round.

My 2013 1500 5.3L got fed E85 for almost the entire time I owned it. Again, nary a problem. I had to upgrade to the 2500 for hauling capacity.

Last edited by Cowpie; September 11th, 2015 at 5:07 PM.
Old September 12th, 2015, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-Flexfuel motor

Is you 2500 a flex fuel? My 1500 is not. Would it still be ok to use E85?
Thanks for the info in general.
Originally Posted by Cowpie
Well, I would challenge you assumptions to a degree.

Let's take a look at some of the facts...

Right now, Regular no lead in my area is $2.45. E10 is $2.36, and E15 is $2.26. E85 is $1.84.

My 2015 Silverado 2500 6.0L gets roughly 14.5 mpg on E0 - E15 regular. No appreciable difference. At those prices mentioned and in order, the cost per mile for each of them is 16.9 cents, 16.3 cents, and 15.6 cents per mile, respectively.

My pickup does take a hit on E85, about 2 mpg, at roughly 12.7 mpg on the stuff. At that mpg, and at the prevailing cost, the cost per mile is 14.5 cents a mile. Cheaper than all of the above.

True, ethanol is hydroscopic, but unless you are leaving the fuel cap off or use it in a vented fuel system, it is non issue. Auto/pickup fuel systems are closed systems. I have used various ethanol blends from E10, E15, E20, E30, and E85 for years. E10 since it was introduced in the 1970's. I took a 1974 Pontiac Catalina with a carbureted 400 small block to 250,000 miles with nary an issue, using E10 for most of it's life. The motor outlasted the car. In almost 4 decades of using ethanol laced gasolines, I have never, nor have I heard or seen of, a problem with them. Only in internet comments. And usually, when problems have occurred, it can be traced to something else, but it is so easy to blame the ethanol.

Now, I will concede, that a vehicle that has had only ethanol free gas run in it for a long, long time, might experience some problem if someone puts E10 or higher in their tank. That is because the ethanol will loosen up gasoline varnish and deposits in the fuel system. That is not the fault of the ethanol, but the fault of the properties of gasoline.

Only small engine applications, have I seen any issue with ethanol. But remember, they are vented fuel systems, unlike autos.

The key to using anything is cost per mile, not miles per gallon. There is no reason to be throwing money away. The beauty of a flex fuel motor is that you have a smorgasbord of fuels to choose from. I go at this purely in a business way, with no bias for or against ethanol. It is purely a cost benefit equation. I use whatever offers me the best value on a cost per mile basis. Right now, that is E85. For most of last spring, it was E15. If ethanol free fuel would offer me the best value, I would use it. At least in my area, we have ethanol and ethanol free gasoline available year round.

My 2013 1500 5.3L got fed E85 for almost the entire time I owned it. Again, nary a problem. I had to upgrade to the 2500 for hauling capacity.
Old September 13th, 2015, 8:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, the L96 6.0L in my 2500 is flex fuel.

If yours is not flex fuel rated, then no, you cannot use E85.