Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Code Reader Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2014, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Code Reader Recommendations

I have a 2013 Silverado. I recently encountered my first Check Engine Light. It turned out to be a bad gas cap but it revealed a DIY shortcoming; I had no way of retrieving the Engine Codes.

With my '02 PT Cruiser, I could do a little "Key Dance" and the Cruiser would cycle through any current Engine Codes. I could find no such option with my Silverado.
Internet research indicated I would need to acquire an interface (Wired cable, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, etc), a recording device (BlackBerry, Tablet PC, etc), and a compatible diagnostic program to extract the flagged engine codes.

I'm hoping someone can recommend a reasonable solution (No Apple, No Android) that will allow me to retrieve engine codes. Also, I was wondering why I would have to purchase another Bluetooth radio when I've been connecting to my phone to the truck via Bluetooth with no problem since I bought the truck.

Thanks in Advance
Old October 6th, 2014, 9:55 PM
CF Beginner

Not sure about a Bluetooth device, but my dad and I bought an Actron model in the $200 range and we are very happy with it. It reads OBDII codes and ABS codes, provides common fixes, connects to a computer for updates and further research and resets the codes too. I would suggest this route.
Old October 6th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I have a Launch c-readervi for $100. launch also has a higher end model that does airbag and abs for $250
Old October 8th, 2014, 12:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Autozone, your parts store, walmart, your neighbor who works on cars, local mechanic, and ebay will most likely have a scanner. i live in rural south dakota, and if i needed a code reader i know 9 people who would have one.. you can get a cheap chinese scanner on ebay and they work fine. stay away from bluetooth. never connect that to the one thing making your car run
Old October 11th, 2014, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 89scottsdale
Autozone, your parts store, walmart, your neighbor who works on cars, local mechanic, and ebay will most likely have a scanner. i live in rural south dakota, and if i needed a code reader i know 9 people who would have one.. you can get a cheap chinese scanner on ebay and they work fine. stay away from bluetooth. never connect that to the one thing making your car run
never had a bluetooth scanner mess anything up. worked for ford for a couple years even their factory scantool is switching to bluetooth